Please find below details of the footwear permitted on the AGP at Stafford RUFC.
AGP Pitches – Footwear Guidance
The RFU recognises that the use of inappropriate footwear on artificial grass pitches is likely to have a detrimental effect on the performance of the surface. This is particularly true of metal studs that have become sharp or rough through general wear and tear. This is also an obvious and significant player welfare issue due to the danger posed during on field player interaction.
The RFU and World Rugby manage this issue through the game’s Laws and Regulations, with specific reference as follows:
- All officials and coaches have a duty of care in line with Law 4 and World Rugby Regulation 12 to ensure that:
• Studs of players’ boots must conform with the World Rugby specification set out in WR Regulation.
• All footwear is safe to play in and has no sharp or rough edges.
• A player must not wear any clothing or footwear that is sharp or abrasive.
Specific emphasis will be given to these requirements on all Artificial Grass Pitches and any player found to be wearing boots that do not comply with these requirements will be prohibited from taking part in any sessions on the artificial grass surface.
1. Blades: Use of footwear which has a bladed profile studded sole is prohibited.
2. Metal (screw-in) Studs on Synthetic Turf for Rugby: Metal Studs designed for Rugby are permitted provided they are Kite Marked and manufactured to BS 6366:2011 These types of studs are a mandatory requirement when playing rugby and are part of the IRB laws of the game. These types of studs are designed for player safety and the limit the potential damage to the playing surface.
It is important that the studs must be fitted correctly to the shoe sole and in a way that they cannot capture the turf fibres i.e. all studs are fully tightened and there is no gap between the studs and the sole of the boot. All studs must be free of sharp edges, have a smooth and undamaged surface and totally free of sharp burrs. The profile of the stud must be an even wear across the bottom of the stud.
Studs showing any of these defects are therefore PROHIBITED for use on the surface at any time whether in training or match situations.
All footwear must be clean and free from mud, soil and stones, prior to usage on pitch.
No use of flat soled training shoes or ‘Astro’ trainers.