Sat 12
Stansfeld FC
Little Common
Stansfeld's FA Cup Journey Comes to an End.

Stansfeld's FA Cup Journey Comes to an End.

By George Lush
Share via

FA Cup - Preliminary Round

Stansfeld’s FA Cup journey came to an end on Saturday as they were beaten 3-2 by Little Common.

Stansfeld started the game brightly and was on the front foot from the off. In the 5th minute Little Common crossed the ball into the box and as Stefan Kempton tried to clear the ball, his outstretched leg caught one of the attacking players and Stansfeld found themselves 1-0 down from the resulting Russell Eldridge.

Despite the goal, Stansfeld kept up the momentum and equalised in the 10th minute. A cross into the box found Ollie Milton, with plenty to do he created space and angled his shot into the bottom corner. Stansfeld continued on the front foot and in the 25th minute Frankie Beale’s played a through ball split the Little Common defence and with the on rushing Ryan Hassan bearing down on goal, the little common full back pulled him back; resulting in a penalty, which Sam Ryan despatched to make the score 2-1.

Moments later the ball was played into Milton whose clever turn evaded the Little Common defence and his shot hit the post with the keeper beaten. Another opportunity before half time saw Freddie Cary’s header cleared off the line and the hosts were unlucky not to have extended their lead at the break.

Little Common started the second half with more purpose but without troubling Cottrell in the Stansfeld goal. In the 58th minute a laps of concentration in the Stansfeld, defence saw Adam Smith break the offside trap and slot past Cottrell to level for Little Common. The game changed in the 68th minute when Captain Sam Ryan was given a straight Red card for a late tackle which seemed harsh on the home side. Two minutes later a needless free kick was given away by Stansfeld which resulted in a third goal for Little Common when the freekick from Eldridge took two deflections leaving Cottrell with little chance.

Stansfeld rallied and looked for the equaliser, Billy Shinners saw his header shave the crossbar in the dying minutes and a lovely Freddie Cray cross looked to have set up a tap in for Milton at the far post but some great defending from Little Common’s full back saw the shot deflect wide; which saw the game end 3-2 in a game Stansfeld really should have won.

Stansfeld’s reserves went down 4-1 at home to Kings Hill, the consolation goal coming from Mark McKenna.
The third team beat Fleetdown Utd Reserves 4-1 at home, with 3 goals from Connor O’Boyle and 1 from Cameron Macmillan.

This week’s fixtures
Saturday 19th September
1st Team v Knaphill - FA Vase - Home - 3.00 ko.
2nd Team v Ide Hill - League - Home - 2.45 ko.
3rd Team v Long Lane – League – Away - 2.45 ko.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 12, Sep 2020




FA Cup Preliminary Round