1st XV 'Saints'
Sat 21 Oct 2023  ·  Regional 1 South West
St Austell RFC
1st XV 'Saints'
Tries: C Taylor (2), D TyrrellConversions: M Shepherd (3)Penalties: M ShepherdYellow Carded: S Parsons, H Bright
Saints denied in Forest of Dean

Saints denied in Forest of Dean

Paul Hayes24 Oct 2023 - 08:42
Share via

No reward despite a strong performance on longest journey of the season

Saturday 21st October 2023
Lydney 33 vs St Austell 24

Report by Steve Murley

Saints made their longest away trip of the season so far to take on high flying Lydney at their Regentsholme ground in Gloucestershire.
Referee Joe Crawford from the Liverpool Society blew his whistle for Saints to get the game underway playing towards the clubhouse on their right-hand side.

After 6 minutes Lydney backs were adjudged offside from open play and fullback Shepherd pumped the penalty from Lydney’s 10m line to their 5m line. Saints were in a prime attacking position
Returning hooker Pete Harris threw into the line for Mark Vian to secure possession and the Saints pack trundled over the line with Cam Taylor emerging with the ball.
7 min Lydney 0 - Saints 7 (Cam Taylor – Try Matt Shepherd - Con)

Saints secured the ball from the kick off but some untidy play from the exit saw the ball bobble loose for Lydney to overturn it. The ball was moved quickly to the eft with but found staunch Saints defence from Konor Ewudzi. It was quickly recycled to the right where several good drives from the Lydney forwards committed Saints players. When the ball was pulled back behind another wave of Lydney forwards, Saints found themselves a little narrow in defence for Lydney right wing Bradley Dunn to burst through two tackles and dot down to the right of the posts. Barnes added the extras.
9 min Lydney 7 - Saints 7 (Bradley Dunn – Try Bradley Barnes Con)

Saints immediately went back on the offensive with number 8 charging hard at the Lydeny defence and feeding Tom Daniel on his shoulder. Quick ball saw Sam Parsons twice involved in the passing move before sliding a deft chip to the corner which was carried over by the home side to concede the 5m scrum. Scrum half CJ Boyce provided quick ball and it was Sam Parsons who drove forward taking three Lydney players with him. The ref called for the tackle and when the Lydney players did not release Saints were awarded a penalty in the shadow of the posts , converted by Shepherd

14 min Lydney 7 - Saints 10 ( Matt Shepherd – Pen )

Saints would have been happy with the first 15 minutes of the game. Scrum and lineout were working well while backs looked strong in both attack and defence.

After 17 minutes the Lydney scrum was called for early engagement and a high kick was secured by Lydney who launched a counter attack from their own half. Strong tackling by Max Bullen shut the door and a strong counter ruck led by CJ Boyce with help from Rory Jago and skipper Mark Vian saw Lydney concede a penalty for hand in a ruck between the Lydney 10m and 22m lines.
Shepherd again kicked for the corner. The pack won the lineout and drove hard for the line but Lydney defended well and with momentum halted the ball was released for Ewudzi to straighten and take out two Lydney players. CJ Boyce fed the ball to left wing Max Bullen who had wrapped around and in turn fed Shepherd who moved the ball onto right wing Dan Tyrell to touch down on the corner. Saints arms were aloft in triumph but alas the referee had spotted a forward pass to Tyrrell.

Saints were now settling into their work but a turnover from Lydney spelt trouble and it was from a high tackle by the Saints that referee Crawford awarded a penalty, midfield just outside the Saints 22m. Barnes opted for the kick at goal and luckily for Saints pulled his effort wide. Saints had received a warning of just how dangerous Lydney could be
Lydney now had the bit between their teeth and launched wave after wave of players at the Saints defence. All were repelled through great tackling and knock-ons by the home side. Saints were making ground and looked confident when moving the ball wide but the referee called them again for a forward pass.
Once again Lydney came back and the Saints doggedly defended their 10m line until the referee spotted another high tackle. Scrum half Braody kicked well to the corner but the Saints defended well with Lydney awarded another scrum
Lydney had now taken the initiative launching several ferocious attacks which the Saints did well to defend with Skipper Vian prominent and fly half Ashwin kicking well to force Lydney back.
Referee Crawford was concerned with the number of penalties conceded by Saints and a discussion with Vian just before half time was a warning of troubles to come. With Lydney attacking , Sam Parsons tackled his player from his blind side. The referee whistled and after some consideration issued a yellow card for a high tackle. Barnes stepped up to kick the points with the referee calling for half time immediately after this kick.
40 mins Saints YC ( Sam Parsons )
40 min Lydney 10 - Saints 10 ( Barnes – Pen )

HT Lydney 10 – Saints 10
Saints knew that the next 10 minutes, with Parsons off, would be key. Lydney would undoubtedly come out determined to take advantage pf their numerical superiority. With Saints tackling well and Ashwin at fly half challenging their defensive line with some flat running allied to great tactical kicking the Saints looked confident.
On the 42 minute Shepherd, spotting space, kicked deep into home territory over the wings head. Tyrell did what all good wings do and chased, overtaking his opponent and with great ball control came inside the fullback before regathering and diving over the line. Shepherd with the extra 2 points.
42 min Lydney 10 - Saints 17 (Dan Tyrrell – Try Matt Shepherd - Con)

Lydney’s response was immediate and clinical. Saints regained the kick off but were adjudged not have released in the subsequent tackle. Broady kicked to the corner and the pack worked their catch and drive routine with hooker Rowan Mullis getting the scoring touch.
46 min Lydney 15 - Saints 17 (Rowan Mullis – Try )

Lydney now had the bit between their teeth and with Saints creaking, upped the tempo. They were not to be denied and after drawing in the away defence spread the ball wide for flanker Hudson to dive over on the right wing. The excellent attempted conversion hit the junction between cross bar and post but stayed out.
50 min Lydney 20 - Saints 17 (Luke Hudson– Try )

Parsons re-joined the game after the kick and Saints made their first substitutions. With Hector Bright replacing Tom Daniel. Archie Bees also came on at fullback, Ewudzi moving to wing in place of Max Bullen and Shepherd moving to the centre.
51 mins Saints replacement ( Hector Bright on for Tom Daniel )
51 mins Saints replacement ( Archie Bees on for Max Bullen )

Saints now found themselves under severe pressure with Lydney running hard all over the field and enjoying much of the possession Saints defended doggedly. Finally after moving the ball right and then left before coming back to the right hand side, Lydney centre Kieran Griffiths twisted and turned from the 22m before forcing his way over the line.
60 min Lydney 27 - Saints 17 (Kieran Griffiths – Try Barnes Con )

This Saints team cleared their heads and came right back at Lydney. Penalties were won and kicked to the corner but no tries came. The ball went wide to the right and was rec-cycled by Saints and from a lovely tip pass from Vian, Cam Taylor dummied sidestepped and sped over from the 22
67 min Lydney 27 - Saints 24 (Cam Taylor – Try Shepherd Con )

The game was set for a spectacular finale. With the Saints pushing hard for the winning score and Lydney determined to increase their total things became a little frantic. With Lydney breaching the Saints defence flanker Bright stayed on the ball a little too long and was shown a yellow card.
69 mins Saints YC ( Hector Bright )
69 min Lydney 30 - Saints 24 ( Barnes – Pen )

Saints emptied their bench with prop Ryan Brown replacing Matt Boothby
70 mins Saints replacement ( Ryan Brown on for Matt Boothby )

Once again Saints pushed on attacking hard from a 5m lineout and were thwarted by some good Lydney tackling but also a series of penalties conceded by the home side in their 22. Vian discussed with referee Crawford but no yellow card was forthcoming.
Lydney broke from their half and with Saints pushing hard to get the ball back the referee spotted an offside in the defensive line , Barnes stepped up to stroke over the penalty
78 min Lydney 33 - Saints 24 ( Barnes – Pen )

Saints rallied to try to get the losing bonus point and try bonus points but it was not to be
FT Lydney 33 - Saints 24

Match details

Match date

Sat 21 Oct 2023




Regional 1 South West

League position

St Austell
Team overview
Further reading

Team Sponsors

Kit & Matchday Sponsor - Sharps Molson Coors
Player Sponsor - Coastal Building and Joinery LTD
Player Sponsor - River Valley Holiday Park
Player Sponsor - Chris Powley Electrical Services
Player Sponsor - Davey Digger Hire
Player and programme Sponsor - The Hewas Inn
Player Sponsor - Duke of Cornwall Supporters Club
Player Sponsor - Rebellion Roast House & Moonshine Bar
Player Sponsor - The Polgooth Inn
Player Sponsors - Paul & Jan Hayes
Player Sponsor - JAWS
Player Sponsor - P.C.Tonkin & Son
After Match Shirts / Player  - Adam Kellow Plastering
Player Sponsor - D Nottle Scaffolding
Pitchside/Programme/Matchday Sponsor - River Valley Garage
Kit Sponsor - Build Cornwall
Senior Kit Sponsor  - D Nottle Scaffolding
Kit Sponsors - Cornwall Mortgages
Player Sponsor - Duke of Cornwall Pub
Player Sponsor - Top Notch Joinery
Senior Shirt Sponsor & Pitch side Board Sponsor - Gripsure UK
Player & Kit Sponsor - The Par Inn
Senior Shorts Sponsor - CraneTec
Kit Partner - Samurai
Shirt Sponsor - Build Cornwall
Senior Shirt Sponsor - Cornwall Mortgages
Senior Kit Sponsor - Noott Marine