FA : Safeguarding - FA Safegurding for Committee MembersSenior Team : Kit Sponsor - Teversal Village Candle Company
Sat 12
Welbeck Lions
Welbeck Lions v Teversal Reserves

Welbeck Lions v Teversal Reserves

By Kevin Heathcote
Share via

Six Pointer at the bottom of the table.

Teversal Reserves played there first game of the new year under the new management of Martin Bower. An away trip to Welbeck Lions who sat just below us in the table so a six pointer. With a couple of new signings and a few more to be completed a phase of discovery and rebuilding has begun.
For today’s game a 4-2-3-1 system was deployed, Ki Smith newly signed from Sherwood formed a central defence partnership with Sam Lavelle. Lewis Brown at right back with James Travis left back. Brett Dodsworth and Gary Atkins anchored midfield with a free role in front of them for Robbie Bestwick. James Summers wide right, Ben Agbakosi wide left and Greg Smith up front. Danny Bowdler started his first game for Tevie in goal. On the bench today Matty Robson, Luke Hobson and the newly signed Billy Davies.
From the early stages of the game it was quite evident that Tevie were the footballing side and Welbeck the physical side. Early chances were traded Welbeck having the first when they caught Tevie out with a quick free kick and a good chance was turned over the bar by Gee. Tevie responded with their own free kick from the right, the clearance fell to Bestwick who created a shooting opportunity but the shot was blocked out for a corner.
Welbeck were getting a little joy down the Tevie right and Martin Bower made a quick change dropping Summers to right back, Brown moved over to wide left and Agbakosi moved to his more natural position of wide right. In the 14th minute Greg Smith picked out Bestwick who turned before putting Brown through on goal, the Welbeck defence did well to block his goal bound effort out for a corner. Bestwick was starting to get a lot of joy as Tevie had good spells without having a clear cut chance.
Welbeck picked up there first booking in the 26th minute for a lunging tackle on Agbakosi, Taylor the recipient. Three minutes later Tevie thought they had a penalty Travis went on a great run and was played on by Brown but just as he was setting himself, he was bundled down from behind but the ref waved away the appeals. Two minutes later Dodsworth flashed a long range effort wide of the Welbeck goal. Tevie had their best chance of the first half in the 34th minute, Lavelle up for corner crossed in by Dodsworth found himself unmarked but could only clip his effort over the bar.
Despite a great deal of first half possession Tevie could have gone in one down at half time as just before the break Bowdler in the Tevie goal pulled off a great reaction save after a free kick was played in from Welbecks right, the ball rebouned out to Gee whose shot smacked the Tevie bar before being cleared.
A solid first half performance Ki Smith and Lavelle played the ball out well from the back and Bestwick pulled the strings in front of the solid partnership of Atkins and Dodsworth.
Half Time: Welbeck Lions 0-0 Teversal Reserves
No changes either team in the interval, Tevie were instructed to keep tight and play the same way. Within two minutes Tevie took the lead after winning the ball not far from the dug outs which the Welbeck management thought was a foul the referee waved play on. The ball was played cross field Greg Smith moved down the right and delivered a low cross which Atkins racing through the middle diverted into the corner for 0-1 Tevie. At this the Welbeck management launched into a tirade of vitriol at the linesman and referee, the ref showed a lot of patience in not sending anyone to the stands.
From this point things got a little heated and some tasty tackles flew in culminating in a booking for Welbeck’s Mathews in the 56th minute and Taylor in the 59th minute. This period had the desired effect as Tevie stopped playing and credit has to be given to Welbeck for changing the dynamics of the game. In between the two bookings Bowdler pulled off another excellent save as he tipped a shot onto the post when Tevie lost the ball in midfield.
Welbeck replaced Arnold with Jackson, and Tevie made their first change as Matty Robson replaced Greg Smith up front in the 64th minute. A minute later Welbeck took the lead, Bowdler didn’t quite get hold of a goal kick straight to Gee about 40 yards from goal with space to run into. He cut to the left before finishing smartly low down into the right corner. Two minutes later it was 2-1 Welbeck as Tevie lost easy possession in midfield and they broke forward down there right. The shot was saved by Bowdler but he couldn’t quite hold onto the ball and baird smashed the ball in.
Teversal tried to get their game back in order but once again were stifled as Kyle Wesley picked up Welbeck’s 4th booking. Billy Davies replaced Bestwick in the 72nd minute, Bestwick had a brilliant first half but was starved of possession second half. Two minutes later Welbeck took a 3-1 lead when slack defending after Tevie looked to have chances to clear the ball led to the ball being pulled back from the byline for Allerton to tap home.
Teversal made their last change as Hobson replaced Brown in the 75th minute. Welbeck picked up another yellow as Scott Wesley found the book for another late tackle, shortly followed by Byod in the 86th minute. Teversal changed to three at the back as they tried to pull something back.
The opportunity came and was taken in the 88th minute, Lavelle swung in a lovely cross from the right, confusion in the Welbeck box and the ball broke to Atkins who poked home his second of the game to make the score 3-2. Teversal poured forward and in the 92nd minute Hobson on the right swung over another dangerous cross this time Matty Robson swooped to head home for 3-3. With seconds remaining Welbeck carved out one final chance form a corner when under massive pressure from two players Agbakosi managed to head the ball clear.
Tremendous heart shown by the Tevie boys as the game looked to be gone but we move on to the next game with a massive boost of confidence from the late comeback.
Final Score: Welbeck Lions 3-3 Teversal Reserves
MOM for Teversal: James Travis - solid performance at left back, linked well with Lewis Brown and got forward when ever possible.
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 12, Jan 2019




Black Dragon Badges South Division

League position

Teversal Reserves
Welbeck Lions