Sat 01
1st XV
U S Portsmouth (Hants Bowl)
C Pooley (2), J Smyth, M Scott (2), E White, P Gibbs, E Culley, J Gregory, C Boyd
T Long
T Long (7)
US Portsmouth

US Portsmouth

By Peter Reid
Share via

A big win in the Hampshire Bowl

Trojans started this Hampshire Bowl match with five debutants and were pleased to see four of them get their name on the score board. The first half was evenly fought but Trojans ran away with it in the second in this high scoring game, notching up a total of ten tries.

Trojans kicked off and immediately gained the ball which started an attack ending with the ball being dropped over the line. But Trojans won the ball from a line-out and swiftly passed the ball down the line for winger Charlie Pooley to score in the corner. From the kick-off, Trojans went straight onto the attack and centre Johnny Smyth cut through to score to put Trojans 10 points up within 5 minutes. USP then got into the Trojans half, were awarded a penalty and from the ensuing line-out, mauled the ball over the line to score. Soon after, Trojans eased into the USP half and were awarded a penalty but back-chat by USP saw the penalty advanced 10 metres to put it in range for Toogi Long to take the three points. On the quarter hour, a great backs move by Trojans from within their own half ended with a fine run by winger Matt Scott, on debut, scoring under the posts to give Long an easy conversion. It seemed that Trojans had complete control of the game but USP had other ideas, helped by silly penalties given away by Trojans, and they spent most of the rest of the half in Trojans territory and being rewarded with two goals to bring the half-time score to 20 – 19 to Trojans.

USP started the second half, as they finished the first, on the attack but after 10 minutes Trojans took over to dominate the whole of the half starting with a try by hooker Elliott White, converted by Long. On twenty minutes a break and long run by new scrum-half Pat Gibbs ended with Scott scoring his second try, Long converting. From the kick-off, Trojans went straight on the attack with winger Charlie Pooley darting through to score, Long converting. USP now began to look rattled and some confusion in their defence allowed Gibbs to snatch a loose ball and dash to the line. With five minutes to go, Trojans gained a goal through full-back Elliott Culley and Long followed by another two tries straight from the kick-offs, the first by new flanker Josh Gregory. The second was a not to be forgotten moment when veteran prop, Steve Fitzgerald, snatched the ball from the kick-off, charged through the USP lines, put in a side step followed by throwing a dummy and finished with a behind the back flick pass to Chris Boyd who ran in under the posts; both converted by Long to make the final score an improbably 67 – 19.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 01, Sep 2018



Meet time