O'Neills Irish International Sports Co. Ltd - O'NeillsClub Sponsor - Mole Valley FarmersMain sponsor - Doom BarClub sponsor - The Pickwick Inn & Olivers Restaurant

Archive Match reports 2007

Camels v Wessex
2007 Archive Match Reports
24.2.07Camels v Tavistock
17.2.07Wellington v Camels
03.02.07Camels v Falmouth
27.01.07Okehampton v Camels
20.01.07Falmouth v Camels
06.01.07St.Austell v Camels
Scroll down for archive reports

14.4.07 Camels v Wessex

Camels finished their 2006/2007 season with a convincing win against a disruptive Wessex team. The home crowd had plenty to view as they saw Camels run in 10 tries to Wessex 0. The win today sees Wadebridge finish the league joint top but Paignton are champions on points difference.

The Camels started the points coming straight away by scoring a try in the 3 rd minute when forwards and backs linked well to see Dan Briskham score in the corner. From the kick off the home side set up a solid platform and span the ball wide to O'Donnell, who's slick hands fed Alistair McLennan who ran in to score in the opposite corner. Wessex tried their best to slow and kill Camels' ball to keep the score line minimal but the home sides forwards were too organised and powerful to allow this to happen. Further tries in the first half came from a 50m sprint from Briskham and another trademark power run from McLennan and with the last play of the half Wilce was driven over from a lineout. The half time score was 25-0.

Wessex were unable to do much with the little ball they had due to the solid defence from all the Camels.

As usual Matt Ballard was everywhere and he was rewarded with a try after a powerful run through two defenders before the touch down. Shortly after, Camels were again in striking range and a lofted miss pass out to Ollie Hawkey on the left wing saw him dash round to the posts. The flying Scotsman got his hat trick of tries from another fine run taking his seasonal tally to an amazing 21 tries.

The game was held up for 10 minutes by an incident which saw a player from each side ending up in hospital, both with leg injuries. When the game continued it was still all one way traffic with fine runs by Gynn, Boyling, Hawkey and May. Camels opened their style of game right up by running from any pitch position and further tries came from Dan Lumb who received a short pass from Hawkey, and a solo run from Jamie Kneale taking the final score to 54-0.

"At the start of the campaign we set ourselves 2 targets, to get promoted and win every home game. I'll have to set harder targets next season!!"

"This season's team has shown great character. People think rugby is just about physical pressure but winning sides have to cope with the mental pressure and we've certainly felt that this season and not buckled one. A lot of the lads have not felt this type of pressure before but I've been so proud as to how they've handled it." Said Wilce after the game.

We have a great bunch of lads and that is a large part of our success. Hopefully the majority will be around next season.

John May got everyone together after the whistle and said that he's been impressed with the teams seasonal performance. Haven't lost since September and winning 19 league games in a row is something to remember! Team

Briskham (May 40), McLennan, O'Donnell, S. Hawkey, O. Hawkey, Kneale, S.Hawkey, Finnemore, Ballard, Bilkey, Lumb, Wilce (Lock 50), Boyling, Davey (Treleaven 60) Gynn (Capt)

24.2.07 Camels v Tavistock

The last time Camels were defeated in the league was back in September up in Tavistock and this time round they were determined not to let the Devon side stop the Camels undefeated run of 15 consecutive matches.

Camels chose to play with the wind behind them, wanting to put points on early. After 10 minutes of up front battling captain Gary Gynn picked up from the base of the scrum and made a determined run through several players to score under the posts. Camels began to control the lineouts and were able to make valuable ground from their powerful drives. They were able to capitalise on this when Julian Wilce caught the ball and set up a drive that saw his prodigy 2 nd row youngster Dan Lumb score his second try in as many weeks.

The next try was from some quick phases and when released to the backs, some slick passing saw the "Flying Scotsman' score yet again in the corner. Tavistock made some powerful runs and defended very well and were awarded a penalty which took the half time score to 17 - 3.

After the turn around Tavistock now had the wind behind them. They came out the far determined side and within 5 minutes their Fly Half dummied his way to score under the posts and kicked his conversion. Camels found themselves camped in their own half and seemed to find no way through the Devon defence. Finally a break down the left wing by Ollie Hawkey finally put the Camels in striking range and the forwards took this opportunity to power their way over with hooker Matt Ballard breaking off to score in the left corner. This lifted the home teams sluggishness and they constantly ran at Tavistock's defence but there was no way through!

The final score was 22- 10.

"We looked very sluggish today, I was watching and wondered, how many had late nights!" Said coach John May.

"I don't want to watch the video, but to play like that, against a team like Tavistock and win is great!" added Wilce. "The main area to work on for the run in to the end of the season is decision making" "I might be fussy but there are only four matches left and very little room for error."

17.2.07 Wellington v Camels

Despite the terrible weather this week, the game between Wellington and Wadebridge went ahead. After the 2 ½; hour drive to Somerset ....Camels were mentally aware that this is a hostile ground and with them only losing once at home this season.

In the sticky conditions Camels played up the slope and demonstrated that they meant business. The 1st half was a very controlled game from the visitors, taking Wellington on in the forwards and starving the home side of possession. With this Camels were able to capitalise and soon it was the "flying Scotsman' Alasdair MacLennan, who crossed first in the corner to take the lead.

Some good runs by Camels' centres of May and O'Donnell got them into attacking territory. Wellington were continuously penalised by the Somerset referee and opting to kick to the corner they used their powerful forwards and this led to the next try. This time prop Brian Finnemore came up last from the pile of bodies from a lineout which was driven 30m.

With the possession that Wellington had, they were very limited for options as the Camels defence seems to be finding some solid form. They attempted kicking to the corner but failed to make touch only to allow Briskham to run straight back at them!! This put the visitors right back into Wellington 's half and gave them opportunities to try new things they have been working on.

A heartened Wellington move got them into Camels territory but again conceded a penalty and lost momentum. With a clearance kick by Kneale the Camels had a lineout move from which hooker Matt Ballard ran in 40m untouched. Half time score was 17-0.

The second half Camels tried to open things up and again made good distance. It striking range again it was lock Dan Lumb finding space, side stepping two players and diving in the corner. That was it for the Camels scoring. Wellington stepped up a gear and found themselves in Camels half for the last quarter. After continuous failed attempts of driving for the line Wellington had a scrum and a strange decision awarded Wellington with a penalty. It was quickly taken and their fly half scored under the posts. That virtually being the last play of the day.

"I was very pleased with our attitude before and during the game, especially in the first half when most of the damage was done." Said coach John May. "The conditions weren't great but with a back row like we had, we were not going to lose".

"I keep drilling into their head that they are steps away from making club history. Success means so much to me and the players and they want the reward desperately" added Wilce "Still, there's 5 games to go and we are focusing on this week when Tavistock come to Molesworth Field."

Team:-Briskham (Pretty 65), MacLennan, O'Donnell, May, (S.Hawkey 65), O.Hawkey, Kneale, S.Hawkey, Finnemore, Ballard (Davey 50), Bilkey, Lumb, Wilce, Treleaven, Boyling, Gynn (capt) .

03.02.07 Camels v Falmouth

A full strength Camels side was able to be fielded against the physical Falmouth. Camels learned a lot from the previous encounter a fortnight ago and were able to work on these aspects throughout the week. They clearly worked as Camels came out victorious 50 - 24, taking a closer step towards their promotion campaign.

The home side opened up with an early penalty by Jamie Kneale and this was shortly followed by a catch and drive by the Camels forwards seeing tight-head prop Gareth Bilky drive over for his first try of the season. Falmouth came on the attack and were awarded a penalty after kicking off. They kicked to the corner and after several attempted drives, finally found their way over the line. In reply to this young Ollie Hawkey was at the end of a good passage of play from forwards and backs to sprint in the corner to extend his side's lead. The home side then tried a new move which involves all 15 players which resulted in Dan Briskham breaking away and scoring under the posts.

This run seemed to ignite Briskham's enthusiasm and two more deadly runs saw him set up a try for Ian Boyling and great position for the forwards to attack and see Shaun Hawkey cross the line. Unfortunately Camels didn't stick to the game plan and tried running from deep in their own half only to give the ball away and some quick hands from Falmouth saw the visiting winger score in the corner.

The second half saw the Camels forwards begin to suck the life out of the visiting forwards and were over powering in the scrums and rucks. This set up a solid platform and quick ball for the in form backs to run with. Great running from Ben May set up a halfway line sprint for Tom O'Donnell and Briskham doubled his tally with a 60m sprint. Falmouth came back with two further tries but the game was out of reach for them. A Camels game would not be the same without a try from MacLennan so he got himself on the score sheet. The final points of the day came when the orchestral scrum half Hawkey darted under some arms to score. The final score was 50 - 24.

"Looking back at the video we have got lots of areas to fine tune. I was please with the way we played. There was some real entertaining rugby " said Wilce

"This was a positive result and both John and I feel he chose the right people for the day!"

"We are now training towards Wellington who have a very good home record and we need to work hard in training to come away successful" team

Briskham (Pretty 60), MacLennan, O'Donnell, May, Hawkey, Kneale, Hawkey, Finnemore, Ballard, Bilkey, Lumb, Wilce, Boyling, West, (Davey 60), Gynn (capt)(Treleaven 65).

27.01.07 Okehampton v Camels

For the second time in the season Wadebridge had to travel to Devon to face the hostile crowd of Okehampton. On their first visit the beat the home side 26 - 7 in the cup but this time it was more important, it was the league.

Losing the toss, Camels had to play with the slope to begin. But it did not help to start with as Okehampton were very passionate to make amends from the previous encounter. Their powerful forwards drove and drove into the heart of the Camels defence for large spells. After one of the home sides rampage they were awarded a penalty which they converted. Camels finally got possession and camped down in Okehampton's corner and a close, powerful drive by scrum half Ollie Hawkey saw him get Camels back into the game. From a similar position, the visitors drove at Oke and in form flanker Miles Davey was driven over taking the score to 12 - 8.

Okehampton responded well and camped on the visitor's line for 5 minutes and finally got over with a driven try. The half time score was 12 - 8 to Camels.

In the second half, Camels were experimenting their style of play by trying to be more expansive. This gave the backs a lot of ball and they were able to use their danger men out wide. They even ran from behind their own line making 50m before going into touch. This didn't always pay off as they were trying to pass ball which really they shouldn't have.

For the majority of the second have Camels were running well with the ball and so too were Okehampton. There were three separate occasions where Camels wing, Ben May came off his wing to make the last gasp tackle inches from his line.

In the final 10 minutes fly half Jamie Kneale scooped up a ball and dodged his way through some half hearted tackles and gave Camels some breathing space. This followed a set move from a line out, a couple phases of play and Birthday boy (18) Dave Pretty was able to sprint through the gap and touch down for their final try. The score was 24 - 8.

After the game, coach John May said, "Today we tried new things, sometimes it paid off, other times it didn't." He praised a number of people for their efforts, especially in defence.

"I couldn't ask for more in term of defence from the players. We knew that we'd be having to spend long spells defending, especially close to our own line. It is annoying conceding a try but I didn't mind it only being one with all the pressure we absorbed!" added Wilce.


Pretty, McLennan, O'Donnell, Hawkey, May, Kneale, Hawkey, Finnemore, Ballard, Bilkey, Lumb, Wilce, Boyling, Davey (Treleaven 65), Gynn (Capt).

20.01.07. Falmouth v Camels

For a second week running Camels found themselves using their large squad due to late flu victims and players with personal reasons. They ventured down to a reformed Falmouth side who are fortunate enough to have recruited a number of higher league Penryn players.

Playing against the elements in the first half Camels found themselves defending for large spells. The ball that they did get was easily thrown away by the visitors. With these errors and continuous loss of ball Camels were camped in their own half and finally Falmouth made the break through with their prop scoring the first points of the day. Camels were able to put some phases together but Falmouth's style of play at the break down frustrated Camels and many of the supporters!

The visitors won a line out and powerfully drove their way into the home sides half and flanker Miles Davey broke off and sprinted in to make the score even. A careless drop ball from the restart gave Falmouth an inviting position to attack from, which is what they did. Quick phases and hands saw their full back score in the corner to make it 10 -5 at half time.

The second half became more physical as the frustration at the break down kicked in and Camels took matters into their own hands. This freed up some ball and a few phases put together and then the ball being spun down to the wing saw Ollie Hawkey run in 60m for the equalizing try.

Camels started gaining momentum and with 10 minutes to go were awarded a penalty in front of the post. Obviously opting to take the points, only to see the ball drift wide of the up rights. The final score finished 10 - 10 with both sides disappointed with the result.

"I feel the referee should have controlled the break down much more. They were allowed to do anything in there! We have them at home in two weeks time. We know what to work on in the build up for that game. I need our fell strength side back"

"The best thing out of today's game was the fact that we were losing for the majority of the game but we never considered defeat"

Team :-Pretty, Bailey (Hawkey 60), O'Donnell, May, Hawkey, Kneale, Hawkey, Finnemore, Ballard, Bilkey, Lock, Wilce, Treleaven (Hawkey 70), Davey, Gynn (Capt).

06.01.07. St.Austell v Camels

Wadebridge went into this game with several players out due to the dreaded flu and some players were carrying slight knocks. A delay in the kick off time was frustrating due to a referee not turning up. Fortunately, a spectator who came to watch the game was qualified and he stood in.

In the horrid conditions, Camels played into the wind and capitalised on two early penalties which young Sean Hawkey successfully converted. There was then a dry spell until St.Austell kicked the ball midfield and Hawkey gathered it up and ran 40m before off loading it to centre partner O'Donnell to score. Hawkey added the extra two points.

With the Camels forwards dominating the set pieces, they opted to kick to the corner and put continuous pressure on St. Austell and this paid off with a catch and drive move that flanker Ian Boyling scored from. This took the half time score to 18 - 0.

In the second half a spirited St. Austell side ran faster and harder with the ball and started putting pressure on the Camels, where they had to defend more than the first half. Gaining possession again Camels took it on in the forwards and came away with two further tries by the other two back row players of Treleaven and Gynn. This took the score to 28 - 0. Gaps were opening up in the midfield for the backline to run through but either handling errors or wrong decision making prevented Camels from extending their lead.

The final score came with the last play of the move and it was from the home team, who finished the stronger of the two sides, with a powerful run from No. 8 who was held just short and passed to the winger to score under the posts. The final whistle blew after the successful conversion.

It was a frustrating game to play in. You cannot put phases together against a team like St. Austell. We knew their style, their passion and this was considered a banana skin fixture in our promotion bid.

We really need to go back to basics and sort out our structure and decision making. Very strong words were said by both May and Wilce in the silent changing room after the game, questioning commitment and attitude.

Things have got to be put right during this week. I never want us to play like that again. The players need to be at both training sessions if they want to be considered in next Saturdays fixture. Sorry to the 40+ travelling supporters.

Team: Pretty, McLennan, O'Donnell, Hawkey, May, Kneale, Humphreys, Coleman, Ballard (Davey 50), Bilkey, Lumb, Treleaven, Boyling, Gynn (Capt) ( Derry 65)