O'Neills Irish International Sports Co. Ltd - O'NeillsClub Sponsor - Mole Valley FarmersMain sponsor - Doom BarClub sponsor - The Pickwick Inn & Olivers Restaurant

Archive Match reports 2009

Devonport Services v Camels
2009 Archive Match Reports
5.12.09Camels 2nds v Bude 2nds
5.12.09Camels v Bude
28.11.09Withycombe v Camels
14.11.09Truro v Camels
7.11.09St Ives 2nds v Camels 2nds
7.11.09Camels v Tiverton
31.10.09Tavistock v Camels
24.10.09Camels v Penryn
17.10.09Okehampton v Camels
10.10.09Camels v North Petherton
3.10.09Newquay Hornets v Camels
26.9.09Camels v Minehead
12.9.09Camels v Devonport Services
5.9.09Camborne v Camels
22.8.09Camels v Weston Super Mare
Scroll down for archive reports

2009/2010 season

12.12.09 Devonport Services 3 pts v Camels 34 pts.

With Dan Lumb, Richard Treleaven and Ben May restored to the starting line up and having beaten Devonport 63-6 earlier in the season at home, Camels hopes of an away win were realised as they recorded their 11th consecutive league success to keep them in third position in the league.

It took only 2 minutes from the start for Camels to record their first points as winger Tom O'Donnell sped through some poor defending to touch down on the left wing. Fly half Josh Taylor added the extra 2 points to make it 7-0. Services immediately put Camels under pressure and were awarded 2 consecutive penalties with outside centre Matt Anstis contributing their only 3 points of the game with a converted penalty.

Camels started to play more open rugby with the forwards in many of the passing phases and it was lock Ian Burnard providing the final pass to hooker Matt Ballard who touched down 20 minutes halfway through the first half to give Camels a 9 point lead. The remaining 20 minutes of the first half lapsed into a boring phase as neither team gained the advantage but in the final minute of play a penalty to Camels allowed Taylor to stretch the visitors lead to 15 points to 3.

The second half commenced with Camels dominating the play and only intermittent attacking play from Services. The outcome was a second try for O'Donnell after 7 minutes of the second half with Taylor unable to add the extra points. Camels used the dry, windless conditions to their advantage as Taylor consistently kicked for territory with centre Tom Crothers following up one Taylor kick to score under the posts. Taylor again added the extras to give Camels a commanding 27 points to 3 lead with 10 minutes of the game remaining.

Camels replacement winger Olly Hawkey was unfortunate as his attempt for a try was held up but it was three minutes later and right on full time that O'Donnell scored his third try of the day with Taylor converting to give Camels a 34 point to 3 win.

Camels team manager Julian Wilce expressed his delight at the win as Camels have lost this away fixture over the last two seasons but was pleased with a second consecutive game where Camels did not concede any tries.

Services team manager Dave Burgess congratulated Camels on their win but was disappointed as Services never really competed on their own turf and are still building their team after loosing six key players at the start of the season to Brixham.

On Saturday Camels face probably their biggest challenge of the season as they welcome league leaders Kingsbridge to the Molesworth Field in a must win game to give the Camels any chance of promotion for next season. KO is at 2.30 pm with a sponsors day arranged as part of the afternoon.

5.12.09 Camels 2nds 52 pts v Bude 2nds nil.

Wadebridge reserves recorded a comprehensive win with a 52-0 scoreline. The first half performance was excellent notching up 40 points through tries from Jamie Taylor, Dicky Dawe, Dominic Hawkey, Sean Johns and two from Olly Hawkey with 5 conversions from Taylor.

Camels gave the full squad a run out in a disappointing second half which only brought two late tries from Mark Hill and Phil Elkins with one conversion from Taylor . Man of the match was given to second row Jack Scott for a strong ball carrying performance.

The Camels have a crucial home Merit Table Game against Penzance Amateurs and would like to encourage spectators not making the trip to Devenport to come along and give their support to the boys in what should be a very tight game.

5.12.09 Camels 12 pts v Bude nil.

Both teams were at full strength in this local derby but a dull and wet day influenced the quality of rugby with eventually all the points from the game going to Wadebridge in the last 15 minutes of play. With Bude winning at home to Truro and Camels winning away to Withycombe the previous week the desire to build on this success was not forthcoming as both teams played nervously in the first 20 minutes with a series of handling errors and miskicks. With a penalty opprtunity for both sides being missed in the first half and no likelyhood of any tries the game was even at the end of 40 minutes with no points to either side.

The second half saw more spirited play but with heavy rain throughout the game a series of handling errors and solid defending by both sides prevented any score. Gradually Camels started to get the better of the play with fly half Josh Taylor giving Camels the edge with some fine kicking and it was Taylor who provided inside centre Cameron Lees with a pass that resulted in a try under the posts to give Camels the first points of the game.

Taylor duly added the extras to put Camels ahead after 25 minutes of the second half. Bude responded with some pick and drive moves lead by veteran Barry Sobey that threatened the Camels line but it was Camels captain Ian Boyling who with a similar move scored outwide on the left wing with 5 minutes remaining of the game.

With their 10th successive win in the league Camels remain in third position in the Tribute Western League West and are away on Saturday to Devonport Services.

28.11.09 Withycombe 10 pts v Camels 36 pts

Camels travelled to Exmouth missing players props Gareth Bilkey and Adam Flide, winger Ben May, fullback/wingers Luke Davison, Dan Briskham, centre Mark Diebner and only having two replacements on the bench.

Shaun Johns came in at fullback and Ben Miskowicz returned to inside centre after a long absence. The Withycombe team included five ex-Exteter colts who brightened the game and contributed to containing Camels on a dark, cold and dismal Saturday afternoon.

Camels piled the points in the first half to lead by 26 points to three but allowed Withycombe back into the game in the second half as playing conditions deteriorated. However it was Camels who were awarded a penalty in the first two minutes of play when a kick by Josh Taylor split the line judges and the score remained at 0-0. Camels mounted pressure on the Withycombe side and this resulted in no 7 Sam Stone powering through the Withycombe defence and scoring the first of 6 Camels tries for the afternoon. Taylor added the two points as Camels continued to attack the Withycombe line with colts player and fullback Shaun Johns joining the line and providing the opportunity for O'Donnell to delay a pass that eventually reached hooker Matt Ballard who duly touched down. Again Taylor slotted over the conversion to put Camels 14 points ahead after only 15 minutes.

However two minures later Oxfordshire referee Dave Clayton awarded a penalty to Withycombe and captain Rich Hall duly obliged to tecord 3 points. This inspired Withycombe to mount another attack on the Camels line that was stoutly defended and a poor kick by Withycombe was caught by Tom O'Donnell to raced to the left wing to place down the ball after half an hour of play. Five minutes later it was the turn again of hooker Ballard to record his second try of the game and his twelth of the season and with Josh Taylor converting Camels ended the first half 26 points ahead.

The second half for Camels started as the first had finished with a phase of play including six passes eventually resulting in inside centre Miskowicz scoring for Camels and with Taylor missing the conversion Camels looked good for more points to add to their tally. However for the next 10 minutes it was Withycombe who had the better of the play after Camels lost scrum half Shaun Hawkey through injury to be replaced by New Zealander Tom Crothers.

Wadebridge started to give away penalties and eventually Withycombe were rewarded for their endeavours when full back Ben Mardle intercepted a pass and touched down. Converting his own try the score was 31-10 in favour of Camels. With five minutes remaining lock Dan Lumb added an unconverted try to give Camels a hard earned victory of 36 points to 10 resulting in Withycombe remaining bottom of the Western League West.

Camels team manager Wilce commented after the game that with so many changes from winning away to Truro in the last game it was encouraging to win the 5th successive away game and in particular for hooker Matt Ballard to yet again contribute with two tries.

On Saturday Camels are at home to local league rivals Bude in a run up to Xmas that includes Devonport Services away and the must win match against league leaders Kingsbridge at the Molesworth Field on December 19th.

14.11.09 Truro 3 pts v Camels 24 pts.

Prior to the match both teams and spectators observed a minutes silence in memory of Truro RFC stalward supporter Hilda Wills who died during the week. Hilda and her husband Don kept the club alive during the late 60's and early 70's during very difficult financial times.

Camels welcomed the return of Tom O'Donnell, Sam Stone and Gareth Bilkey on an afternoon that was preceded in the morning by strong gales and heavy rain. However the afternoon saw no repeat as these conditions abated It was the small town Wadebridge Camels club who came to the St Clements Hill club to win against the city slickers - and win they did.

A penalty awarded to Camels within 2 minutes of the start gave fly half Josh Taylor the first 3 points of the afternoon but within 2 minutes Truro responded with their own penalty as no 10 Ross Martin stepped up to slot over the only points of the afternoon for Truro. For the next 18 minutes neither side could gain the advantage with both missing penalties.

However Camels had the better half as they played the more open rugby with new fullback Luke Davidson making a series penetrating runs into the Truro half that were well defended. Camels tenacity was rewarded 3 minutes from the end of the first half when hooker Matt Ballard in charateristic fashion finished off a phase of 6 passes to touchdown.

Taylor converted and Truro immdediately mounted an attack but the Camels defence was robust enough to prevent any further score. At half time it remained 10 points to 3 in favour of the Camels.

The second half started as the first finished although this time it was Wadebridge who were dominant with scrum half Shaun Hawkey touching down after 2 minutes and Taylor slotting over the try giving Wadebridge the 17 points lead. A further two minutes later saw Ballard break through three Truro tackles to touch down for the second time and again the trusty boot of Taylor added a further 2 points to give Camels a further 21 points lead.

Truro came back at the Camels and started to show why they were in third position, one place ahead of Camels in the Western League West table. Their efforts remained unrewarded but Truro kept to their guns as the clock ran down and the game finished at Truro 3 Camels 24.

Former Cornwall Coach and the current Truro Coach Phil Angove commented after the match that "it was a fine win for Camels but it was a disappointing display by Truro". Camels coach Dave Elston felt it was the best display of the season from a very committed team playing at a high tempo with no tries conceded for the second game in succession. Camels now look forward to their 9th successive win when they play Withycombe away on Saturday November 28th.

The Wadebridge game versus Hayle away in the Cornwall Cup on Saturday has been cancelled and will be played in early January due to Hayle having to cancel their league fixture on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch.

7.11.09 St Ives II's 35 pts v Camels II's 3pts.

Wadebridge Reserves endured a rare defeat away to St Ives in the Cornwall Merit Table on Saturday by 35-3. The Camels came out firing in the first 10 minutes mounting a series of charges which lead to a penalty which was slotted over by young scrum half, Jamie Taylor. St Ives began to dominate the game through their experienced pack and the Camels found it hard to stop their short pick and drive game in very wet conditions. Despite conceding several scores, the side put in a great effort and the experience of playing against a strong side like this should be a good lesson to the Camels Reserves. Man of the match was prop Adam Coleman who was presented with a Barrel for his efforts later in the evening.

7.11.09 Camels 51 pts v Tiverton nil

Camels were without Mark Diebner, Tom O'Donnel, Sam Stone and Gareth Bilkey but the outcome was unaffected as they romped to their 7th successive win the the Soutwest West League. Tavistock were without key players through injury and loosing three to neighbours Cullompton .

Camels were quick off the mark with prop Matt Ballard rolling through two tackles to touch down under the posts. Josh Taylor duly slotted over the conversion. It was nine minutes later that fullback Dan Briskham scored his first of three tries for the day when Josh Taylor offloaded the ball in a tackle to allow Briskham to make the Tiverton line. Taylor uncharacteristically missed the conversion and the score remained at 12-0.With the rain pouring down it took only a further minute for Briskham to score his 2nd try with again Taylor missing the further 2 points.

Tiverton were unfortunate to loose hooker Graham Willis with a dislocated ankle and with Kevin Kingdon coming on as replacement the game continued. Tiverton rallied for a short period but the Camels onslaught continued as inside centre Tom Crothers broke through to score with the try unconverted the score remained at 22-0. Just 2 minutes later it was the turn of outside centre Cameron Lees to add to the tally and after 30 minutes of first half play Camels were 29-0 in the lead thanks to Taylor converting.

Camels remained alert with some good passing moves which eventually reached the hands of Briskham again who duly obliged with try no 3 and which Taylor converted. Tiverton rallied for a few minutes of the remaining first half but were halted by good Camels defending as the ref blew for the end of the first half at 34-0.

Tiverton started the 2nd half as they had finished the first but slick side stepping from Camels scrum half Shaun Hawkey was rewarded with a try from the set piece and Taylor converted to place Camels in the unassailable lead at 41-0. The game entered a 15 minute period of little action as players were replaced with Briskham, Filde and Boyling being replaced by all the Camels bench and on the half hour winger Ben May was able to add to the Camels tally with a fine taken try. In the final dying minutes it was again Matt Ballard who provided his second and final try that remained unconverted to make it 51-0.

Charlie Burt, chairman of selectors for Tiverton commented after the game that " Camels fitness and teamwork were far superior and Tiverton didn't commit to the first tackles allowing Camels to keep the ball alive" Camels team manager Juilan Wilce was delighted with the win particularly as there was no score from the visitors although in the second half he felt that players switched off mentally.

Next week will be a sterner challenge as the team are away to Truro who are one position above Camels in third spot.

Camels 2nd recorded there first defeat in the Merit Table when they lost 33-3 away to St Ives. On Saturday they are at home to Truro and Camels third team are at home to Bude. Both KO's at 2.30pm at the Molesworth Field.

31.10.09 Tavistock 15 pts v Camels 29 pts.

WADEBRIDGE stretched their winning run to six games with a comfortable victory over Tavistock at Sandy Park.
The Camels have always been strong at home, but this was their third successive victory on the road.
Full back Dan Briskham continued his rich vein of try-scoring form with two more, one converted by fly half Josh Taylor, to help the Camels to a 12-5 interval lead.
Tavistock's first-half points came from a try by Alex Moy after No.8 Jake Phillips had come off the back of a scrum to send over the scrum half.
Tavvy produced second-half tries from wingers Andy Wright and Andy Astley, but Wadebridge had the better of the scrums and flanker Ben Collings was rewarded with a try for his efforts.
Second row Mark Grubb also dotted down for the visitors, with Taylor adding both conversions and a penalty.
Wadebridge team manager Julian Wilce said: "I was pleased with the result. It was another away win for us, and we are starting to get some points on the road, which is different to last season.
"We want to play a nice, open game and stay on our feet, but we are making hard work of it, and we are playing to the opposition's strengths and not our own, by taking it on in the forwards time after time.
'There will be some conditions when we have to play a forward-orientated game, and we've proved we can win when we play that way, but at the moment, while the conditions are still good, we want to be moving the ball around a lot more, because when we do we score tries.
"We showed that on Saturday, with Dan getting two out wide, while Adam and Mark scored with support play out wide.
"That is six wins in a row now for us and there is a bit of a buzz about the place. We are showing some consistency, which is good."
Camels face a home game against eighth-place Tiverton on Saturday, and Wilce said: "We are expecting a big bunch of forwards to come down, they are a very committed side, and if we try and take them on in the forwards, we will make hard work of it."

Wadebridge: Briskham (Davidson 70), O Hawkey, Lees, Crothers, May, Taylor, Shaun Hawkey, Flide, Ballard, Bilkey, R Hawkey, Grubb, Collings, Stone (Treleaven 45), Boyling (capt).

Tavistock: Tries: Moy, Wright, Astley.
Wadebridge: Tries: Briskham (2), Collings, Grubb; Cons: Taylor (3); Pen: Taylor.

24.10.09 Camels 27 pts v Penryn 16 pts.

Penryn travelled to the Molesworth Field with a depleted side through injuries or unavailability and fielding players with an age range from 17yrs to 40 yrs. Camels were without no 8 and captain Ian Boyling through injury but welcomed back lock Dan Lumb after a week out. Camels run of four wins in a row was set to continue in an evenly contested match and where Penryn, whilst always chasing the match, never dropped their heads ensuring that Camels were unable to repeat the clean and clinical display at Okehampton the previous week.

The first quarter of an hour was evenly matched but after collecting a ball from within his own 22 it was Camels full back Dan Briskham who powered through a number of tackles as he roared up the left wing to touch down out wide. Young Josh Taylor missed the conversion with the wind in his face on a blusterly but dry day. Within 2 minutes a penalty to Penryn allowed scrum half Taron Peacock to register his first points with a well taken kick. However within a further 4 minutes outside half Josh Taylor took the opportunity for Camels to extend their lead by 5 points when he slotted over a penalty.

Further penalties to Penryn were not converted into points and an unforunate injury to Penryn winger Josh Chambers after attempting to tackle Dan Briskhanm resulted in him being replaced by Ben Birkett. However with 3 minutes of the first half and Penryn pressing the Camels try line another penalty to Penryn was conceded which enabled Taron Peacock to add a further three points with the score at 8 points to 6.

Camels started the second half with more deternmination and within a minute Briskham added his second try with a try out wide on the right wing. With the wind now in his favour Taylor added the additional two points for Camels to pull ahead by 15 points to 6. Camels scrum half Shaun Hawkey made some key tackles on his opposite number in the set pieces that upset the Penryn flow of play. Flanker Sam Stone for Camels was to add a try under the posts that was converted by Taylor and provide a 16 points lead.

Taylor for Camels also used the wind advatage to relieve the defence and in one notable move collected his own high kick and a quick offload to second row forward Rob Hawkey enabled Camels to mount an unsuccessful attack the Penryn line. But it was fly half Mike slater who increased Penryn's points tally with a well desreved try midway through the second half to make the score 22 points to 11. However, another penetrating run from Briskam and a final pass to Camels prop Adam Flide and the conversion by Taylor saw Camels complete their scoring for the afternoon with still 20 minutes of the game remaining.

Penryn took advantage of the situation as the Camels lacked focus with some penetrating runs by Penryn prop Daniel Booth that caught the Camels defence off guard. Booth was rewarded for his efforts in the final 3 minutes with a well executed driving maul. With Taron Peacock unable to convert the game finished at 27 to 16 points.

Penryn chairman Roger Symons commented that whilst the better team overall one the game, he was pleased that the game was played in good spirit and felt that Penryn showed their superior fitness in the second half but were unable to capatalise on it. Camels are away next week to Tavistock in a the ninth Western League West game of the season.

Camels second team had a convincing 47-0 win in their Merit Table match against Penryn seconds away. They scored 7 tries through winger Olly Hawkey (3) with a try apiece for Ben Miskovitch, Jack Scott, Seb Williams and Bryn Phillips. Mark Kempthorne converting six out of seven attempts. The seconds are away to Tavistock on Saturday.

17.10.09. Okehampton 14 pts v Camels 28 pts

Camels travelled to Okehampton with only 2 replacements and four players carrying injuries. Okehampton had two key players missing with two flankers absent. Ally Mason on holiday in Australia and Simon Cox banned for the match. Camels were quick to put points on the board as they were awarded a penalty in the first 3 minutes when 18 yr old Josh Taylor slotted over his kick from 35m in what was perfect playing condidtions. Two minutes later a second penalty was awarded to the Camels and Taylor duly obliged. Camels continued to dominate and their efforts were rewarded when after 10 mins a further penalty was awarded but missed and a fourth penalty a minute later with a successful attempt by Taylor . This saw the Camels nine points ahead and the sin binning of inside centre Dave Wells for Okehampton. Taking the advanyage Camels continued to attack the Okehampton line with Camels Dan Briskham providing his usual long run from the full back position and breaking three tackles on his way but cut short of the Okehampton try line.

After 20 minutes Okehampton started to claw their way back into the game and a penalty awarded for offside was missed by the usually relaiable kicking of Okehampton fly half Carl Poynton. A further penalty to Okehampton after half an hour was also missed and it remained at nine points to nil as the referee blew for the first half.

The second half saw Ben May replace Mark Diebner and within 30 seconds flanker Sam Stone for Camels broke through two tackles to score and the ever relaible Taylor providing the additional two points to put Camels 16 points in the lead. For the next 15 minutes Okehampton started to put together forward moves in the form of rolling mauls that required some stout defending. However it was the very quick and elusive Okehampton full back Gareth Elspin who eventually broke through the Camels defence after 22 mins of the second half to record Okehamptons first points of the match with a try. Lee Cary provided the conversion as Okehampton reduced the arrears to 9 points.This signalled a resurgence by Camels and their efforts were rewarded when the speed of Camels full back Dan Briskham resulted in a controversial try as he clipped the left hand try line post to touch down. Taylor yet again converted with a well taken kick on the left hand line to put Camels ahead by 21 points to 7.

Okehampton kept putting Camels under pressure however it was Camels lock Mark Grubb with 5 minutes of the game remaining who powered his way through three tackles to touch down under the Okehampton posts with Taylor adding a further 2 points to put Camels in an unassailable position at 28 to 7 points . In the final minute Okehampton's rolling mauls were eventually successful with captain and prop Ian Langbridge touching down. Lee Carey slotted over the conversion and the final whistle completed the match with Camels recording their third away win of the season from 5 games.

Team managerJulian Wilce commented that "Camels played very open rugby for most of the game that provided the points but the team's fitness was tested in the latter stages of the second half and this allowed Okehampton to get back into the game. However Camels were delighted with the away win".

Undefeated at home Camels play Penryn on Saturday at the Molesworth Field with a 3 pm kick off.

10.10.09. Camels 50 pts v North Petherton 3 pts.

Its not very often that a rugby team plays complete rugby but for the Camels on Saturday it was certainly the case. All the training, match fitness and game strategies worked like a well oiled machine as Camels romped to a well deserved victory over Somerset side North Petherton with the match played in perfect conditions at the Moleworth Field. North Petherton were without five key players including centre James Carter, prop Harley Brown and second row Simon Gingell.

However it was the visitors who made the initial impact by pressing the Camels line at the Tribute end of the field and only stout defensive work by the Camels prevented a score. Twelve minutes into the game the Camels started to play cohesively and centre Mark Diebner broke through tackles to release the ball to scrum half Shaun Hawkey who in turn offloaded to lock Ben Collings to touch down. Josh Taylor converted and the Camels were seven points to the advantage With both sides playing open rugby it was Camels who were to score again within six minutes when fullback Dan Briskham ran from within the Camels 22 nearly loosing his shorts on the way as he handed off three ttackles but created the platform for winger Tom McDonnell to provide a pass out wide to outside centre Cameron Lees who completed the move.

Again the accuracy of Josh Taylors kicking which was very evident for the whole match as he slotted over his second conversion. Within a few minutes it was the turn of North Petherton to apply the pressure as fly half and captain Lloyd Williams put in a long and accurate kick that hit the cornerr flag and bounced into touch. Yet again Camels held their line as Petherton were repelled for their efforts. After half an hour of play Camels stepped up to another gear and with Petherton mishandling near their line it was flanker Sam Stone who took advantage and added to the tally under the posts at the Doombar end with Taylor again on target to make it 21 points to nil. But it wasn't to be all Camels way as an offside error by Camels allowed Petherton full back Matt Angel to add three points with three minutes of the first half remaining.

North Petherton relaxed a little and Camels fullbackDan Briskham broke from within own 22m with typical speed and multiple handoffs to run 50 m only to be fouled thus giving the reliable boot of Josh Taylor another three points. Petherton had a scoring opportunity with an offside awarded to them but fullback Matt Angel was unable to convert as the referee blew for the end of the first half with the score at 24-3 to Camels.

The second half started ferociously for Petherton after captain Lloyd Williams gave a stern team lecture at halftime but Camels came back through after 10 minutes of the second half with Dan Briskham , who mirrored his first half performance, collecting a pass out wide on the left wing to score at the Doombar end followed by a superb conversion by Taylor . By now the game was won as Camels were 29 points ahead and the misery for Petherton was compouded by Camels second row forward Ben Collings and another Taylor conversion. Prop Gareth Bilkey was replaced by Rich Treleaven and twenty minutes into the second half and a mulitude of passes between many Camels players it came to Dan Briskham who further delighted the local support with his second try. No conversion this time but a commanding 43 points to 3 with still twenty minutes to play.

It was further good defensive work by Petherton and simple handling mistakes by Camels that prevented any further scoring opportunities. The game became a little stilted with injuries to both sides as the clock ticked down but not to be outdone it was the ever aware scrum half Shaun Hawkey for Camels who quickly picked up the ball as it popped out of a maul and passed to hooker Matt Ballard who side stepped the Petherton fullback to complete the Camels victory with former Camels colt Taylor converting right on the final whistle to complete a 50 points to 3 comprehensive win.

Camels are away to Okehampton next week which will be a test of character as the side needs to build on their recent away form to remain in the top four of the Wetern Counties West League. Currently Camels are just one position above Okehampton who are in fifth. On Saturday the Camels club were delighted to meet Peter "Gus" Carling who along with his brothers Michael and Bill (father of England and Lions captain Will Carling) were founder members of the Wadebridge Camels club in 1955. The Carling family lived at Port Isaac and went to Truro School. Peter was a hooker whilst Bill played second row. During his rugby career Bill played for Cardiff. Peter was visiting the area with wife Mary and theywere all staying at the St Moritz hotel .His brothers who had travelled from their homes in Oxford and Guildford. Peter currently lives in Cirencester and for 35 years served as a commander in the Royal Navy Reserve.

3.10.09. Newquay Hornets 16 pts v Camels 29 pts.

The pre match game by the Colts sides saw a narrow 12 points to 10 points win by Camel Colts against Newquay Hornets Colts. After a period of calm both the weather and the players behaviour greatly influenced the quality of the local derby with the refree sin binning six players in total throughout the 80 minutes. Camels were quick to put pressure on Newquay at the start, although playing against a stong westerly wind, and forcing errors by Newquay that allowed Camels full back Dan Briscombe to break through two tackles and side step the Hornets full back to touch down under the posts after 5 minutes. Josh Taylor converted and unusually for Camels they found themselves in the driving seat early in the game.

However three minutes later it was Hornets fly half Chevy Reeve who slotted over a penalty as the game took a twist and the rain started to sweep across the pitch. Undeterred it was again Dan Briscombe for Camels who joined the line and was foced out wide to the right after slipping through three attempted tackles and managed to slip a pass inside to Tom O'Donnell who touched down to allow Camels draw further ahead withr Taylor conversion making it 3 - 14. Newquay started to come back into the game forcing Camel errors and allowing Reeve to slot over a second penalty half way through the first half to make it 6-14. Frustrations boiled over and Hornets prop Simon Lutey found himself sin binned and his absence helped Camels to pressurise the Hornets line but without success. It was Newquay who scored again through a Reeve third penalty to creep within 5 points of Camels with 5 minutes remaining of the first half. However another incident resulted in Hornets no 17 being sent off for a high tackle and a minute later with only 13 players in opposition Camels flanker Sam Stone forced his way through a Hornets defence to touch down. Again Taylor converted to give a 21 - 9 points lead to Camels as the referee blew for the end of a very eventful first half.

Camels started the second half as they did the first by immediately mounting an attack on the depleted Hornets side and with the wind in their favour Camels captain and flanker Ian Boyling made the break that allowed winger Ben May to give the Camels their fourth try of the game. Finding themselves 15 points in the lead, Camels let their concentration falter with captain Ian Boyling sin binned and another forward altercation a few minutes later resulted in Camels prop and ex- Newquay player Gareth Bilkey being sin binned. With Camels down to 13 players it provided an opportunity for Hornets and they were rewarded with a penalty try duly converted by Reeve.

Further altercations four minutes later between the two sides resulted in Hornets no 9 and Camels full back Dan Briscombe being sent off and the final 15 minutes saw both sides return to playing rugby. With six minutes of the game remaining the final points of the game went to Camels when Josh Taylor added a further 3 points to the scoreline with a well taken penalty from out on the left wing.


Tries - Dan Briskham , Tom O'Donnell, Ian Boyling, Ben May

Conversions Josh Taylor(3)

Penalties Josh Taylor.


Try - Penalty try

Conversion - Chevy Reeve

Penalties Chevy Reeve (3)

1) Adam Flide

2) Matt Ballard

3) Gareth Bilkey

4) Dan Lumb

5) Rob Hawkey

6) Ben Collings

7) Sam Stone

8) Ian Boyling (c)

9) Shaun Hawkey

10) Josh Taylor

11) Ben May

12) Mark Diebner

13) Tom O'Donnell

14) Luke Davidson

15) Dan Briskham


16) Richard Treleaven

17) Cameron Lees

18) Mark Grubb.

26.9.09. Camels 22pts v Minehead 12 pts.

With Camels and Minehead having experienced defeats the previous week, both sides had a high expectancy of a win. Camels were especially upbeat as they have a very envious home record of which they are fiercely protective together with not having to experience the 3.5 hour journey from the Somerset seaside town of Minehead . Camels head coach John May had rung the changes from last weeks loosing team at Kingsbridge by including 5 new starters including the unfortunate loss of experienced lock and team manager Julian Wilce through a long term injury. Starting the game for the first time this season were colts Josh Taylor and Luke Davidson as well as flanker Sam Stone and with no 8 and captain Ian Boyling on the bench there was much anticipation by the partisan supporters. Minehead equally had five players back playing after injury and other committments.

Within two minutes of the start it was Minehead who were to take the lead when fly half Simon Avison broke through the Camels defence and passed to outside centre Daniel Richardson who scored and Avison slotted over the conversion and Camels were 7 points in arrears. After half an hour a series of missed tackles provided a second unconverted try for Minehead with lock Richard Henson scoring. Minehead were playing above their expectations as Camels appeared to flounder at every opportunity and so at half time it was Camels chasing the game with Minehead 12 points ahead.

At the start of the second half it was Camels who within a minute touched down outwide when right side winger Luke Davidson completed a threequarter move. Coach Dave Elston brought on captain Ian Boyling and prop Richard Treleaven and this appeared to have the desired effect of bringing a more cohesive team effort from the Camels. A penalty to Camels soon followed with Josh Taylor adding a further three points to the Camels tally. However an injury to Minehead prop Kyle Roberts meant that the rest of the game was played as uncontested scrums.

Camels started to take greater control of the game halfway through the second half but simple handling mistakes meant no further score until 15 minutes from fulltime when captain Ian Boyling broke from the back of the scrum and with Minehead missing two tackles Boyling touched down under the posts allowing Taylor to convert. At 15 -12 it was Minehead who came back to press Camels on their line for a period but solid defending prevented Minehead from adding to their tally. In the last minute of play Camels scored their third try through prop Matt Ballard under the posts with a simple successful conversion attempt by Taylor to complete their second win of the season at 22-12.

Minehead coach Andy Stevens was pleased with his teams performance commenting that it was much better than last week against Truro but Minehead are still without a win in the Western Counties West League . Camels have now two wins from four outings, both being home wins with a short journey to old rivals Newquay Hornets on Saturday who, flushed with their recent run of wins, will be relishing the prospect of a victory against Camels having not won the last four encounters.

Camels Minehead Barbarians

Tries Luke Davidson, Ian Boyling, Matt Ballard Richard Henson, Daniel Richardson

Conversions Josh Taylor(2) Simon Avison

Penalties Josh Taylor (1)

1) Adam Filde (c) David Swann

2) Matt Ballard Justin Harris

3) Gareth Bilkey Ryan Lewis

4) Dan Lumb Kyle Roberts

5) Rob Hawkey David Webber

6) Ben Collings Richard Henson

7) Sam Stone Robert Webber

8) Andrew Ball Tom White (c)

9) Shaun Hawkey Martin Cook

10) Josh Taylor Simon Avison

11) Ben May Oliver Thomas

12) Mark Diebner Stuart Ford

13) Cameron Lees Daniel Richardson

14) Luke Davidson Jack White

15) Tom O'Donnell Tom Bishop


16) Richard Treleaven Steve Hawkins

17) Ian Boyling Sam White

18) Tom Crothers Andy Eastleigh

12.9.09 Camels 63 pts v Devonport Services 6 pts.

Devonport Services were looking to build on their home victory over Truro last week and in the first eight minutes it looked as though the proverbial sun was going to shine on them as they took the lead through two penalties courtesy of inside centre Matt Anstis. However, whilst the sun continued to shine it was Camels who started to gain control of the match with ultimately 11 tries and four conversions in a game where the Camels pack completely dominated the play.

First player to start the Camels rout was ex Mounts Bay player and prop Adam Filde finishing off some fine handling by the three quarters to touch down after 12 minutes. Prop Richard Treleaven followed with the Camels second try six minutes later finishing off another slick passing move. Not to be outdone prop Matt Ballard added his name to the score sheet and by half time Camels were firmly in the driving seat with the score at 15 to 6.

Camels continued to dominate the pack and it was the turn of second row forward Rob Hawkey to add to the try score when he intercepted a Devonport Services pass to touch down 2 minutes into the second half. Tom Crothers managed to convert his fourth attempt. Five minutes later it was full back Dan Briskham who in typical form finally got into the game and rode four Services tackles to touchdown. Devonport Services kept their discipline and