Sat 09
1st Team
Canvey Island
D Kendall (56'), L Rose (82')
C Hubble (51'), M Price (60')
Ware 2 Canvey Island 2 (6-7 on penalties)

Ware 2 Canvey Island 2 (6-7 on penalties)

By Stephen King
Share via

Ware out of the FA Trophy after penalty shoot out.

After the rigours of a seven match FA Cup run Ware rested several players allowing Liam Dulson, Rechan Esprit and Reece Crowter to make unaccustomed appearances in the starting line up. There were just ten between the three of them before this game.

Those who thought this might indicate a difficult game for Ware were proved wrong as the home side generally had the better of the exchanges. This was particularly so in the first half when Ware created numerous openings but were unable to turn them into goals. It was perhaps telling that Ware's two goals ultimately came from their central defenders.

Canvey on the other hand were continually caught offside whenever they ventured forward so their opportunities were limited. Their best chance came in the last minute of the half when Pat Adamson's clearance was misdirected across the face of the Ware goal but was somehow cleared from danger at the expense of a corner.

Prior to that Ware had failed to make the most of several chances. Taufee Skandari had shot wide after Marcus Milner's cross had found him in a good position; Liam Dulson's shot was too hot for Bobby Mason to hold but no-one was on hand to bury the loose ball; and Reece Crowter's cross found both Louis Rose and Dave Kendall free in the box but was headed over before a minute later Rose had another header tipped over the bar.

Despite a narrow escape from a Ware corner when the game resumed after the break Canvey were ahead five minutes in. A long ball found the Ware defence in trouble and Connor Hubble took advantage to give his side the lead.

Ware came back and were level after another five minutes. A corner from the Ware left was just too high for Mason and one of his defenders leaving Kendall with a relatively simple headed goal.

Parity only lasted for yet another five minutes. Another long ball forward wasn't cleared and Matt Price was suddenly on his own with it bearing down on an isolated Brad Robinson. The Ware keeper did well to spread himself and block Price's effort but the Canvey man was first to the loose ball and although driven wider than he might have liked hammered home his side's second goal.

Ware continued to move the ball around well but also looked vulnerable to a quick break. With twenty minutes to go Paul Halsey brought on Liam Hope and Albert Adu, two of his rested players. It made a difference but it took until the 82nd minute to produce a goal when Rose benefited from good work that opened up the Canvey defence and thumped the ball home from close to the penalty spot.

The shoot out started well for Ware with Robinson saving Canvey's first two efforts but by the time the regulation five had been completed the score was level at 3-3. It took another nine attempts to reach a conclusion with Canvey's keeper Mason hitting the winning spot kick.

Ware: Bard Robinson, Marcus Milner, Patrick Adamson, James Mulley (Chris Arthur 93mins), Louis Rose, Dave Kendall, Robbie Buchanan, Rechan Esprit, Liam Dulson (Liam Hope 70mins), Taufee Skandari, Reece Crowter (Albert Adu 70mins). Unused subs: Ethan Gannon, Leigh Rose, Gareth Madden, Dan Rumens.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 09, Oct 2021






The FA Trophy 21-22