Sat 09
3rd Team
Chessington KC
Wars can't quite make it

Wars can't quite make it

By Steve Rolfe
Share via

Wars make a painful exit at the semi final stage of the Surrey Junior Cup

Surrey Junior Cup Semi Final 9th March 2013
Chessington KC 2 Warlingham “A” 0

Today’s fixture was again preceded by an awful week of bad weather which resulted in our home pitch being flooded so the game was switched to a ground in Tolworth, Alexandra Rec.

The pitch was soft in places with some patches of standing water but much of this was removed by the SCFA Member in Charge before kick off. Other than that the pitch was fine and with a strong team Wars had every reason to feel confident of a good performance.

The game started and Chessington were quickly into their stride. It was clear they were a strong side and Wars had to resist some early pressure as they sought to find some rhythm. Early opportunities were created as in the 8th min the ball was drilled across the Wars box with no opposition forward close. Chessington also developed some shooting chances but they didn’t even come close.

Gradually Wars got into the game and from a short corner after 16 mins Sewell’s low cross was met by full back Kember but his shot cleared the bar to safety.

Wars were now having the better of the possession and Mullins was finding room down the right and delivering dangerous balls into the box which didn’t find get the reward they perhaps deserved.

Chessington had resorted to a long ball game as they were being stifled in midfield by Batt and Davey. These long balls were catching out the Wars defence and leaving keeper Dungey exposed on a number of occasions. Again and again the Chessington front line could not hit the target from good chances.

In the 29th min a charged down free kick from the goalkeeper saw a smart one two and Spence attempt to lob the keeper to no avail. Minutes later and Ade and Mullins combined to beat the keeper with Corry on the end of a good tackle as he lined up his shot.

The ball over the top was still causing problems and Billy the fish got himself in a tangle from one such ball and managed to give away a soft penalty. Dunge then made what turned out to be a string of good saves as he stopped the penalty and cleared. Back came Wars as Batt played in Sewell down the right and he found Spence who cut inside on his favoured left foot and launched a shot not far over. The half came to an end with Mullins and Sewell combining with Sewell shooting over. Half time 0-0

Chessington KC came out for the 2nd half with spirit renewed and made an immediate substitution. They quickly started to get a passing game going and dominate midfield where Davey and Batt were getting overrun. First a corner headed clear by Kavanagh followed by a free kick flicked just wide and then a cut back cross which was miskicked over when the forward should really have scored. The belief seemed to be draining from the Wars players as Chessington took control and finally luck also ran out.

Dunge made a great save to push the ball onto the crossbar and away but the corner sailed over his head hitting the post and cannoning in off his back and Wars were now up against it.

1-0 down. Spence dropped himself back into midfield as first Dennis and then Apoko were
brought on to try and liven things up. But it was to no avail as Chessington continued to dominate and create chances and force Dungey into further saves.

With 77 mins on the clock KC were through again and this time Dunge could not keep it out and they booked their place in the final against Smallfield with a deserved win.

Team: Dungey, Kavanagh, Blatch, Williams, Kember, Batt, Davey, Sewell, Spencer, Mullins, Oluwu Subs used: Dennis, Brown, Lualanu, Apoko

MOM: There were some good performances from those in Wars shirts and particularly in the first half. Sewell was influential with his running. Spence controlled the passing game in the first half and was the best player on view throughout the half.

The stand out performance was from Mark Dungey in goal. His penalty save in the first half was the first in a string of great saves which managed to keep Wars in the fight right up to the final whistle.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 09, Mar 2013