Sun 10
Wigan St.Patricks
K McGann, R Taio Mafi, L Hendry (2), G Hughes, T McGann, D Owen
K McGann, T McGann, O Stankevitch, H Bennett
Wigan St Pats U10s 12 v 36 West Bank Bears U10s

Wigan St Pats U10s 12 v 36 West Bank Bears U10s

By John Stankevitch
Share via

Widnes Youngsters Maintain 100% Win Record

West Bank Bears U10s travelled to Wigan on Sunday for an early afternoon kick off against St Pats, who scored 22 points against the Widnes younsters in the return fixture earlier in the season. It was only superb attack which got the Bears the victory that day and they knew that they had to be at their best without the ball this time around in order to get the victory.

The game was played in 'off and on' rain, which affected the handling of both sides, but the Bears youngsters certainly adapted better to the slippery conditions and dominated the opening exchanges with two well worked tries.

West Bank were clearly in no mood to give their opponents an inch and their defence was up quickly on every tackle, limiting the home side to very little yardage. As the game entered the middle stages of the first half, with both sides enjoying spells of possession, the Bears looked to speed up the play the ball, but were frustrated with the Wigan sides mauling at the ruck.

The frustration was shown with three penalties being conceded whilst in possession as the Bears pushed and shoved the tacklers off, to try and gain the advantage, but the referee saw fault in that and turned over possession to St Pats.

Despite what seemed to be an unfair advantage given to the home side, they couldnt breach the Widnes boys line and it was West Bank who finished the stronger in the first half with a superb try out wide.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first half with a St Pats error which led to field position for West Bank and a further try. It was becoming a very one-sided affair and looked very much like the home side had began to give up.

This lulled the Bears into a false sense of security and they took their foot off the gas, which resulted in a quickfire double for the home side, who probably deserved something for their efforts. It was lacklustre defence both down the middle and out wide which led to the opportunities and behind the sticks the coaches laid down the law.

West Bank reacted exactly as they should have done and in the final 10 minutes ploughed their way continuously down the field to score a further 3 cracking tries which gave the scoreline a more suitable look for the dominance of the Bears.

Try scorers on the day were Kian McGann, Tyler McGann, George hughes, Lucas Hendry (2), Daniel Owen and Rueben Mafi. Conversions were kicked by Harvey Bennett, Oliver Stankevitch, Tyler McGann and Kian McGann.

Man of the match with a very strong all round display was Daniel Owen who also covered three positions during the game, and best tackler was awarded to Lucas Hendry who was solid throughout. The final award for Special Contribution was given to Harry Hughes who had taken the things learnt in training, into the game and had been very efficient with his ground work in defence and his attacking support play.