Powered By
Rank 549
Sat 22
First Team
Combe Down II
Westbury 1sts secure a win in their final game of the season

Westbury 1sts secure a win in their final game of the season

By Maeve Taylor
Share via

Westbury triumph over Combe Down to secure the win

Westbury Rugby Club closed the season with a fine win over Combe Down 2nds, which was sweet revenge for the loss at Combe Down at the start of the season. The win also allowed Westbury to go above their opponents in the league.

The home side were the first to score 10 minutes into the match when Combe Down were awarded a scrum on their 22 metre line. Westbury hooker Michael Tuck, won the ball against the head; number eight, Ash Commins gathered the ball, set off on a solo run and was able to score after breaking through several tackles. Aaron Vaughan added the conversion.

Westbury’s next score was by speedster, Nick Taylor, when Combe Down kicked up field, Nick pounced on the loose ball and outpaced everyone to touch down for the try. The conversion was missed. Within a couple of minutes, Taylor was on the score sheet again after great interplay between centre, Chris Vaughan, and full back, Nigel Kershaw, when after powerful running and great off loads the supporting Taylor was put into space for him to add to his tally. Once more the conversion was missed. Combe Down always threatened and was rewarded with a try when Westbury failed to secure a lineout in their 22, putting standoff, Aaron Vaughan under pressure and his clearing kick was charged down allowing the visitors to score and convert their try.

A few minutes later, Vaughan was able to restore Westbury’s lead when, with another storming run up field by Nigel Kershaw, who was then able to put his supporting stand off into space for Vaughan to score. Aaron also converted his own try.

Combe Down fought back hard and forced a scrum deep in Westbury’s half. The ball was picked from the back of the scrum and with good control set up a maul to force their way over the line but missed the conversion. 24 – 12 at half time.

The second half was an even affair with both sides threatening to score but both defences standing firm. The deadlock was broken after 25 minutes when Aaron Vaughan slotted a penalty after Combe Down were caught offside. Vaughan then scored his second try straight from the kick off when he received the ball and just seemed to ghost his way through the Combe Down defenders to score the try but missed the conversion.

Nick Taylor scored his hat trick try after the ball was passed out from the base of a ruck in Westbury’s half and with the whole of Westbury’s back line involved, the ball finished in the hands of Nick who showed a clean pair of heels to leave the opposition grasping at thin air. 37 – 12 at the final whistle.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 22, Apr 2017




Dorset & Wilts 2 North

League position

Combe Down II