Sat 04
First Team
Worcester Park
M Tyler (78')
No walk in the park

No walk in the park

By Westfield FC Webmaster
Share via

Combined Counties Division One

Westfield earned the 3 points required to set up Tuesday’s title showdown but left it late to finally overcome Worcester Park. The returning Mark Tyler was the hero with a 78th minute winner.

Despite what appeared to be a bright sunny day the excessive wind dominated the game. The visitors attempting to utilise the gale to their advantage started well and had the game’s first effort on 7 minutes when a long range effort deflected just wide of Davis’s left hand post. Westfield were struggling to get the ball onto their front line with even routine clearances struggling to hit the half way line. When they finally did get the ball down they created the half’s best chance. Johnson’s run after cutting in saw him beat 3 men and a reverse pass played in Jack Hollins whose bobbled effort beat the keeper but was cleared off the line by the covering centre back. In truth it was an awful spectacle of football with the visitors failing to capitalise on their advantage.

Westfield looked to attack from the off as the second period started. With the wind still playing a big factor crosses rained in from either side. The away side were defending well with the skipper at the heart of the defence having an exceptional afternoon. Shaun Brown and Liam Parrington went close twice with headers whilst the lively Johnson was thwarted by the visiting keeper at his near post. On 68 minutes the games big chance arrived. Shane Cheeseman spinning away and beating his marker crossed for Liam Parrington to volley home at the back post, however his effort was blocked by the sole covering defender but with the ball falling back to the Westfield skipper he smashed the rebound over from 6 yards out. It was an incredible miss and left many of the sizeable crowd wondering if it were to be Westfield’s day. At the other end the visitors offered little with Davis only action dealing with a few crosses. On 77 minutes Adam Beale was denied when his 30 yard effort was tipped onto the bar and over by the Worcester Park keeper. Shortly afterwards Jack Hollins was tripped out on the right hand side. From the resulting kick taken by himself the ball somehow reached Mark Tyler 8 yards out and his effort went back across the goal and nestled in the far right hand corner of the net. Adam Beale nearly sealed the win when another long range effort was saved by the keeper. With 5 minutes remaining Luke Beale and Knowlden clashed on the near touchline to spark mass handbags. The referee to his credit defused the situation and issued warnings to both captains. There was to be no further action and the win kept alive the title dream.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 04, May 2013






Division One