Main Club Sponsor - McCrea Financial Services
Tue 25
Albert Park
Tight Finish at Albert Park

Tight Finish at Albert Park

By David Hinchliffe
Share via

Partick are stretched by south siders

Partick progressed to the semi final stage of the Western Cup after a closely fought encounter at Albert Park.

After a rushed start thanks to Glasgow’s rush hour traffic, Partick batted first with a new opening combination of Michael Miller and Jesse Mills. They started well on a difficult wicket, moving the score onto 51 before Mills was bowled by a full ball. Skipper Rob Corner then came to the wicket with attacking intent, hitting several boundaries before being caught on the boundary for a quick fire 20. Miller played with experience and held the innings together, only being dismissed in the 16th over after scoring a well-made 50. Amol Deshmukh batted well at the end to finish 25 not out. Runs didn’t seem to come easily but Partick ran well between the wickets to finish their 20 overs with 141-4. A score that Corner said was only just par. A big second half was needed.

Hussain and Dhillon opened the bowing and kept the run rate under the required seven an over, but Partick struggled to take wickets.

Simon Brown evntually made the breakthrough, caught in the deep by Ben Cole who was making his Partick debut. Albert Park continued to attack the short boundary and the runs kept coming, despite the occasional wicket.

The game was heating up with Albert Park needing 40 off the final six overs with five wickets remaining. Then the ball of the century was bowled to change the momentum.

Daniel Graveling, who bowled well, decided the loopy, dippy full toss was the way to go with the batsman ducking underneath the ball but with such great dip, the ball slammed into the top of leg stump. A moment of classy, traditional cricket that surely had many a long dead fast bowling turning in their grave(ling). However, Graveling did bowl well picking up three wickets from his four overs.

Hussain and Brown were brought back with the run rate still hovering around 6 an over but after Brown collected another wicket and conceded just four in the 18th over, the win was looking in the bag. Albert Park unravelled with the final wicket coming in the penultimate over, Partick holding their nerve to win by 13 runs.

It was a tighter win than Captain Rob Corner would have hoped, but a win no less. Partick progress to the semi finals where they will travel to Whitehaugh for a spot in the final.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Tue 25, Jun 2019