Easy Fundraising - Easy Fundraising
Sat 19
Ladies teams
Final score Weymouth 1, Frome 1

Final score Weymouth 1, Frome 1

By Susie Stone
Share via

Man of the Match: Alice Craven

Weymouth travelled away to Frome to play a side who were second in the lead and had impressive victories over other league sides.
Weymouth were keen and prepared for a tough match and started well with several attacks against the Frome side. The Frome defence were strong and kept Weymouth at bay, implementing several strong attacks of their own, but the Weymouth defence (Dervla Ireland, Anneka Rogers, Sophie Foot and Jacqui Riddler) held strong and Alice Craven in goal made several brilliant saves. It was difficult to get the ball out of defence due to the high press implemented by the Frome forwards. Weymouth battled through this time, keeping the 0-0 score line.
Umpiring decisions were difficult to bear at times, with both teams highly confused about the decisions given. This resulted in a green card to Chloe Van Crugten due to an apparent deliberate offence and talking back to the umpire.
Lots of back and forth play between the two sides finally came to a stop when Susie Stone gained possession in the midfield. Quick passes between Luce Bryne, Chloe Van Crugten and Susie Stone allowed distribution to the right wing, passing to Emily Austin. Emily Austin took the ball and ran with pace down the right wing, beating the left midfielder and left back, passing the ball the penalty spot where Linda Drewitt was waiting to pounce and swept the ball into the back of the net, making the score 1-0.
Weymouth maintained their discipline against what were a very physical and aggressive side, keeping the Weymouth score sheet clean. The defence played brilliantly, stumping all attacks by Frome and Alice Craven in goal saved Weymouth on many occasions.
After half time discussions about moving the ball out of defence worked well and Weymouth were better at using the right hand side to play the ball up to the midfield and attackers. The second half continued to be a battle, both against the Frome players and the umpiring decisions.
The Frome side kept the press very high and were quick to pounce on any Weymouth free hit. From a sixteen yard hit out, Frome dispossessed Weymouth and ran in on goal where a straight strike turned the score 1-1.
Both teams played very well considering the dodgy umpiring decisions and kept composed. Several attacks by both teams were dismissed by the defensive players and goal keepers, ending the game 1-1.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 19, Oct 2013




East Division