Sat 06
Honiton RFC
Colts Stay Top of The Group!

Colts Stay Top of The Group!

By Adam Curtis
Share via

The Colts stay top of their group after beating local rivals Honiton

This week the Withycombe Colts forwards and half backs created some great chances that made gaps for the backs to exploit in another demonstration of the spirit that exists in this team, giving everyone the chance to play their best rugby and keep themselves sitting on top of their group in the Devon Merit Championship.
Withycombe got the game under way and kept Honiton pressed back in their own 22 until Withy pressure resulted in a scrum. As the ball came out the ball was fed back to Josh Saunders who slipped round the blind side for the first try with 7 minutes gone. The windy conditions prevented the conversion.
The restart saw the Withies forwards test the Honiton defence and some good tackles were needed to stop the charges forward. Soon Honiton gained possession and in a concerted effort forced Withycombe on their back foot. The referee blew the whistle when he judged that a dump tackle had been carried out that gave Honiton their first points with a kick in front of the posts.
For a while after the restart Withycombe tried to settle but gave away several penalties as they held their line. Another break came when deep in the Honiton 22, the ball was fed down the line ending up with Ben Dawson who touched down. Again the wind beat the kick so the score as the half time whistle blew was 10-3.
The second half started better for Honiton as they forced a scrum on the Withy 22. Unusually a gap opened in the Withycombe defence and a quick thinking Honiton runner saw it and broke through to score. Again with the wind against them, the kick went wide.
The reply wasn't long coming as the Withycombe team piled forwards pressing the defenders deep within their half. A pass to Jason Farrant changed the move as a brilliantly weighted cross field kick was collected in the air by Dawson who crossed the line to Score. This time Farrant kicked from a tight angle and long range to convert the try.
With the match almost over, Honiton were a converted try away from bringing the score level, but Withycombe were the dominant side and kept the play out of their half for the majority of the game. The ball was being moved well as the Withy boys pressed forward. Then Farrant with about 5 minutes left, put another trademark kick to touch inside the opposition 22.
With Honiton to take the lineout, Withycombe were in a great position having dominated in the lineout throughout the game. Withycombe gained possession and as the ball moved fast, Harry Hawkins saw his chance to put his head down and drive for the line to score. Farrant converted again.
Honiton Colts kept their composure, and from the restart looked good as they pressed forward, but Withycombe regained control. The intensity of the Withycombe fight back brought the ball to the Honiton try line where defences were being tested. The pressure and speed of the ball proved too much and Dawson was able to find touch which ended the game 27-8.
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 06, Oct 2018