Main Sponsor - WAE Group
Club Kit Supplier - O'Neills
Sat 28
Wath Upon Dearne
Yarnbury 1st XV
Wath 27 - 14 Yarnbury - Yorks One League

Wath 27 - 14 Yarnbury - Yorks One League

By Charlie Brownridge
Share via

match report by John Rawson

Wath 27 - 14 Yarnbury - Yorks One League

Yarnbury went to South Yorkshire for this tricky fixture with Wath with six changes throughout the team due to unavailabilities with Josh Bateson at Full back for Jack Brown,Graham Maycock coming in on the wing and George Oldridge starting at Stand Off for Danny Pound and Nathan Benton at scrum half.In the pack Richard Lister came in for injured Kyle Donworth while Jack Butler started in the second row for the unavailable James Falgate.For the first 35 minutes Yarnbury managed the game well mainly in defence holding out comfortably the bigger pack as Wath mainly used their bulky pack to crash forward following their stand off Jack Whitlam pushing Yarnbury back with astute kicking with the breeze.

The first clean break of the game came from Yarnbury.Wing forward Alex Crowther made a great breakthrough with an elusive run beating several players but in the 22 metre line with support either side decided to beat one too many defenders and the chance went begging. A costly mistake.

As the half came to a close from a line out close in Wath forwards rumbled forward and prop James McCarty crashed over for an unconverted try and at the break went further ahead when No8 Shaun Hopper got over from again close in for Whitlam to convert and open up a 12-0 lead ,Generous for the home side but hard on Yarnbury after controlling this half for long periods without getting in to good attacking positions.The defence was holding in the main but too often wrong decisions ,dropped balls and poor kicks kept Wath on the attack.

The second half sarted brightly for the Horsforth side as they worked the blind side to get left winger in to an overlap who slipped the cover to score .George Oldridge converting to put Yarnbury back in the game and you could see the concern in the home side's play.Winger Josh Bell looked dangerous but never got enough space to create openings as the pack came under increasing pressure from the home side as they gained in confidence.Wath were happy to take straight forward penalty from Whitlam on 55 minutes to increase their lead and went further ahead in the right corner through winger Anthony Barrett for the third try which was unconverted.

Wath put the game out of Yarnbury reach on 70 mins with a try from No8 shaun Hopper converted by scrum half Adam Clarke, before a consolation try for Yarnbury from George Oldridge backing up a swift counter attack from the Yarnbury backs who finally got through the home defence.Oldridge quickly converting.

Although Yarnbury looked more their own self in the second half with Danny Pound at Stand Off the breaks did not come and full back Josh Bateson never found the space his pace needed to turn the game.

Yarnbury will need to regroup for the upcoming game at Horsforth on Saturday with League Leaders Roundhegians arriving at Brownberrie Lane at 3pm.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 28, Sep 2019




Yorkshire Two

League position

Wath Upon Dearne