Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Yarnbury RFC app


First Team - Match centre

Sat 27 Apr 15:00 - Yorkshire Silver Trophy 18-19 Full time

Wetherby 13 – Yarnbury 21


match report by John Rawson

Yorkshire Silver Trophy Final

Wetherby 13 – Yarnbury 21

Yarnbury Rugby Union Club have appeared in three finals since the 1970’s losing all three in close exiting contests pressure games.Two Yorkshire Shield Finals and recently at Twickenham in the National Cup competition.Today at Ripon Yarnbury overcame a belligerent opponent in Wetherby who are renowned for their size and go forward approach through their pack.Today was a day to remember as they claimed their first prize the Yorkshire Silver Trophy in an exiting game.

Yarn bury started well but gave away a cheap penalty for offside and Wetherby Full Back Oates hit the post.Yarn bury went storming back and wing forward George Bowen was pulled down short by a determined defence after an earlier 5 metre lineout for a Wetherby offence came to nothing when the opponents turned over the ball near their own line.This was to be a physical affair with a trophy involved and the tension could be felt around the Ripon Ground from both sets of supporters.Yarn bury were setting the pace and their young backs tried to spread the play but the tension in the players in the first quarter could be seen as mistakes disrupted the play.When second row James Falgate was sin binned for a technical offense Wetherby seized their chance after 25 minutes with a push over try against the weakened Yarn bury pack.No 8 Francisco Stuven-Ortelli touching down.Oates again missed with the conversion hitting the right hand post with the conversion – was this a sign for the Horsforth side?

The second quarter belonged to Yarnbury as they went after the opponents with a vengeance. Wetherby kicked out of defence at their peril giving space to the Yarnbury back three of Kyle McCauley and wingers Graham Maycock and John Bateson who were a handful for the covering defence and when Wetherby fouled the play the ball from a quick tap penalty stopping McCauley from scoring referee Mark Smith (Central Yorkshire) awarded a penalty try to Yarnbuy after several penalty infringements. Wetherby had replaced their influential hooker Stephen Hoether through injury after the score and were further depleted as winger Jack Kaye was binned for preventing the try illegally.

Yarnbury were in to their stride and took further advantage before the break with the forwards making ground down the middle for wing forward George Bowen to get on the end of the move to score Yarnbury’s second try .Stand Off Will Marshall converting to extend the lead to 5- 14 at the break. Yarnbury were unlucky just earlier not to extend their lead further as Stand Off Will Marshall and winger Josh Bateson split the Wetherby defence down the right only for Bateson to be tapped down with the line beckoning.

After the restart Yarnbury backs were caught offside and Oates cut the lead with a penalty then Danny Pound on at the break at stand off and Will Marshall back to no 15 missed a speculative penalty on 50 minutes when maybe a kick to the corner would have been another option.

Wetherby were not beaten and had plenty of go forward and found space down the left for winger Andrew Trotman to get over in the corner for an unconverted try to close the gap.Before a grandstand finish saw Yarnbury attack down the middle through forwards Ian Maycock ,Tom Goldthorpe and James Falgate slipping the ball to supporting stand off Danny Pound to score near the posts to send the crowd and players in to uproar as he converted his own try and put Yarnbury two scores infront. Unfortunately,he could not extend the lead five minutes from time when a long range penalty just missed the right hand post.It did not matter the opponents were overcome and the trophy was going back to Brownberrie lane metaphorically.This trophy was too precious and antique having Alverthorpe as winners in 1884 presumably an old name for defunct Wakefield Rugby Club!

The celebrations at the final whistle were possibly heard around the county and congratulations to both teams for a full blooded encounter and to opponents gracious in defeat.Hopefully,the final win will calm the nerves for a possible National Cup entry next season!

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors