First XI - Match center

Torquay United
Dulwich Hamlet
Sat 23 Feb 15:00 - The Vanarama National League - Vanarama National League South Full time Attendance 2,655

Dulwich mauled in disastrous first half


The Hamlet were ruthlessly brushed aside by Torquay United

For the Dulwich line-up click here

Dulwich handed starts to their three new signings, but the whole team failed to get going for an hour, and the defence failed to cope with the movement of the home side.

After a bright start, The Hamlet fell behind in just the 6th minute. A free kick conceded on their right saw the defence switch off and the ball was played to the unmarked Reid. His effort took a slight deflection as it beat Jorgensen just inside the near post.

It nearly got worse for The Hamlet as Jorgensen tried to usher the ball over the goal line just to the left of his penalty area. He was dispossessed but the defence scrambled the ball clear. Another swift attack saw a volley fly just wide before the inevitable second goal arrived in the 15th minute.

A Dulwich free kick was headed clear and the home side broke out in numbers. As the defence and midfield tried to get back a through pass was deflected into the path of Janneh, and he placed the ball into the net.

Shortly after the first quarter of the game had been completed, the referee had to be replaced by his senior assistant and the line was then taken over by a Torquay fan who stepped from their popular side. It would be fair to say that the new assistant's ability to be even close to keeping up with play was somewhat lacking.

Dulwich managed to survive further damage until the start of the nine minutes added time was indicated, although this was as much by luck than judgement. Jorgensen had to save from Janneh after the player was once again given a clear run on goal, just bundling the ball away from him as he looked to round him on the edge of the penalty area.

Reid then fired wide when well placed before Janneh added the third when he was left alone to turn in a low cross after a corner, awarded by the stand in Assistant some 15 yards out of position, had been cleared.

Worse was to follow during the nine added minutes. This time a tackle from Nathan Green took the ball some 30 yards away from the Dulwich goal, but the referee decided that he had not won the ball cleanly. Reid confidently beat Jorgensen low to his left.

Half Time 4-0

The second half didn't start well for The Hamlet and a fumble from Jorgensen from a low shot had to be hacked clear. Worse nearly followed but Quade Taylor managed to clear an effort off the line, before the giant keeper made a complete hash of a routine low effort from Lumbombo-Kalala. The shot should have easily been saved but went straight through his legs and left Dulwich five goals behind with only 56 minutes played.

Withe the game now comfortably out of reach, Dulwich finally started to play. A long ball forward saw Dipo Akinyemi, who replaced Dan Thompson at half time, collect it and turn inside the defender towards goal. He was clearly tripped, although bizarrely the referee failed to administer a booking. Akinyemi confidently converted the 65th minute penalty.

Five minutes later Dulwich got a second. A quick break forward from Luke Wanadio saw him find Green who finished confidently. In fact, only a magnificent flying save by McDonald prevented a third goal three minutes later, this time Green's Piledriver from the edge of the box being clawed out.

A Nyren Clunis cross saw the ball scrambled off the line as Green tried to turn it home and another cross saw a Nathan Green header come back off the post.

However, the home side always looked dangerous on the break and Jorgensen was able to partially redeem himself with a couple of fine saves in the last ten minutes, as Dulwich were caught out by quick counterattacks.

Final Score 5-2

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up


Club sponsors