Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Beccehamian RFC app


1st XV - Match centre

Eastbourne RFC
Beccehamian RFC
Sat 27 Apr TBC - Friendly Full time

What a finish to the season....

All the hard work pays off for Beccs 1st XV

As Beccs RFC prepared for a rather busy weekend, play-off final, Kent Vase Final, mini's tour to Isle of Wight and the under 16's Kent 7's the
1st XV prepared themselves to take it one game at a time. First up our friends from Eastbourne.

Finals rugby is always hard and Beccs knew they had a tough match ahead, two lucky break away tries helped the score line last time we met Eastbourne and they knew they couldn't rely on that.

Spurred on by a good turn out of Beccs supporters and good luck videos from the mini's on their IOW tour, Beccs got off to a great start.

Alex Warsop finished off a few well worked phases to score the first try with only 3 minutes gone, Paul Broadhurst added the two. At the 12 minute mark Jason Obee crossed with Paul Broadhurst's conversion going just wide, it would be the first and last time he missed all weekend.

At the 22 minute mark Ryan Souter broke the defence again to cross wide, Paul obliged with the two. It was Alex's turn again to go over for his second try, two more points from Paul. With 30 minutes gone Beccs had scored four tries and lead 26-0.

For the following 10 minutes Eastbourne fought back with spirited play and well worked phases, the Beccs defence held and we heard the half time whistle blow at 26-0.

It was Eastbourne again with another 10 minute period of excellent rugby, Beccs had lifted themselves another gear and needed it to keep the Eastbourne side scoreless. The 20 minute drought was broken when Alex spotted a gap in the Eastbourne defence and capitalised crossing for his hat trick. Paul slotted again from out wide and never looked like missing another kick, he didn't.

The Beccs pack dominated at both scrum and line out. Quick to the breakdown and clinical driving mauls provided a platform for points throughout the 80 minutes.

The next try came from Elliot Shepherd only minutes after taking to the field from the bench, Paul again from out wide with 2.

The next 20 minute period was play for play. Eastbourne showed great pride and Beccs kept getting up. The final try was from Ryan Souter, his second, Paul added 2 with the last play of the match at 79 minutes gone... 47 - 0 Beccs go up!

The supporters were fantastic and treated to an excellent game of rugby. Eastbourne held their heads high and showed the true meaning of sportsmanship, wishing Beccs well next season.

A well deserved beer.... except someone had scheduled a cup match the next day....

Thank you to Eastbourne RFC for putting on a great day for the visitors.

With the points he has scored this season including a hat trick of tries in the final, man of the match must go to Alex Warsop.

Team: 1 Ben Thirkettle 2 Dave Hayden 3 James Humphreys 4 Dan Harding 5 Ryan Souter 6 Andy Botten 7 Jo Sheahan 8 Mike O'Hehir (Captain) 9 Callum Murray 10 Alex Warsop (V-Captain) 11 Joe Blair 12 Jason Obee 13 Max Carroll 14 Luke Davey 15 Paul Broadhurst 16 Elliott Shepherd 17 Jack Keil 18 Dave Speed

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors