Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hawick P.S.A. RFC app

View

History

It was in 1919 that D Paterson, D Stavert and Baillie A J Hislop founded the PSA club as part of the Pleasant Sunday Afternoon Organisation. Immediately popular with the teenage lads of the time - the upper age in those days was 19 - it was not long before the PSA became a major force in semi-junior rugby, winning three league titles up to the 1931-32 season.The success continued throughout the 1930s, but in 1943 the club was suspended because of the war.

(A personal Memory)

It [The PSA Recreation Centre] was a great place for youngsters, well run by Baillie A G Hislop and Tom Thomson. There were carpet bowling and seven tables for billiards and snooker, pictures on the walls of many rugby players and teams, also some funny and clever cartoons by Malcolm Nicholson. David Stavert did a great job keeping the tables clean and in good order.

Of course rugby was the main attraction, with great competition for a place in the PSA team. Many great players started their careers there, including Willie Welsh, Jerry Foster, Jock Beattie and many others.

(Elliot Paterson, writing in 1994)

Where next?

Introduction 90 years of rugby Welcome to the history archive of Hawick PSA website. The PSA is the oldest semi
1940 - 1959 After the Second World War, the club was reformed; and although it was a lean time as far as trophie

Affiliations

Club sponsors