Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Worthing Football Club app


Match Report: Worthing 7-0 Hythe Town

2 years ago By User 1903369

Rebels trounce Kent opponents to reach Ryman Division One South play-off final

Worthing thrashed Hythe Town 7-0 to reach the Ryman Division One South play-off final where they will host Faversham Town on Saturday.

Rebels went in at half-time two goals up after Omar Bugiel gave them a tenth minute lead and Jordan Maguire-Drew added a second nine minutes later.

Zack Newton added a third shortly after half-time, player-manager Gary Elphick headed in just before the hour mark and Ben Pope made it 5-0 from the penalty spot.

81:29 - Goal
81:29 - Goal

With the visitors down to ten men after Nick Reeves was sent-off, Maguire-Drew curled in a spectacular free-kick and Bugiel rounded off the win by chipping the seventh.

Worthing were unchanged from the side that beat Ramsgate 2-1 on Saturday while Connor Hood and Jack Mahoney came into the starting line-up for Hythe.

The early stages were a scrappy affair but when Pope raced through in the ninth minute James Morris chopped him down from behind.

Brannon O’Neill’s resulting free-kick was headed onto the crossbar by Elphick and when it dropped Bugiel was on hand to turn in the rebound from three yards.

Two minutes later Pope played in Maguire-Drew who outpaced the defender and struck across goal from 20 yards, Joe Mant tipping past the post.

Pope then poked wide under pressure from goalkeeper Mant after an excellent cross-field pass from Newton.

With 19 minutes on the clock Rebels made it 2-0 when Mant palmed away Bugiel’s header and it came back out to Maguire-Drew who curled in delightfully with his left foot.

It was all Worthing from then on with Bugiel blasting over from distance and Pope slicing high and wide from a great position.

Mant saved shots from Bugiel and the lively Maguire-Drew, who at times looked as though the ball was glued to his foot, while Pope chipped over from a tight angle.

Ten minutes before half-time O’Neill’s dangerous free-kick was headed inches over his own crossbar by Hythe’s Dave Cook, but the score remained 2-0 at the break.

Just four minutes into the second half Worthing made it 3-0 when Bugiel played in Newton who squeezed under Mant.

Maguire-Drew then beat three men before shooting just wide and Bugiel’s ferocious shot was pushed away by Mant.

Shortly before the hour mark Worthing added a fourth when Elphick headed in an O’Neill corner, despite a last-ditch attempted clearance by a Hythe defender on the line.

In a rare chance for the visitors Cook struck just over from six yards before Rikki Baks made an impressive save to keep out Jon Pilbeam’s long range attempt.

Pope came close twice but was denied by Mant on both occasions but eventually got the chance to score from the penalty spot.

As the Worthing striker raced through on goal he was clipped by last man Nick Reeves who was sent-off, and Pope sent Mant the wrong way from 12 yards.

In the 82nd minute after Will Hendon was clipped on the right, Maguire-Drew spectacularly curled the free-kick into the top corner with his left foot.

Moments later, man of the match Bugiel capped an excellent all around performance by lobbing in Worthing’s seventh of the night to send Rebels to the play-off final.

Worthing will now play Faversham Town on Saturday after they beat Dorking Wanderers 2-1 in the other semi-final.

Worthing: Banks, Hendon, Metcalf (c), Bugiel (Edwards 84’), Elphick, Heath, Maguire-Drew, O’Neill (Axell 60’), Pope, Newton (Piper 72’), Sparks.

Subs Not Used: Fagan, Quirke.

Goals: Bugiel 10’ 84’, Maguire-Drew 19’ 82’, Newton 49’, Elphick 59’, Pope (pen) 78’.

Booked: O’Neill 31’.

Hythe Town: Mant, Hood, Burchell, Mahoney (Botterill 60’), Cloke, Reeves, Cook, Morrish (Pilbeam 64’), Sawyer (Wilson 72’), May, Harris.

Subs Not Used: Sprosen, Walker.

Booked: Morrish 9’, Cook 38’.

Sent-off: Reeves 77’.

Attendance: 948

Match report by Sam Skilton. Photo by official club photographer Studio IV.

Updated 23:54 - 28 Apr 2016 by User 1903369

Where next?

Match Reaction: Worthing 7-0 Hythe Town Jon Meeney urges players to keep their feet on the ground after 7-0 play-off semi-final
Hendon named player of the month for March Will Hendon wins Supporters' Association player of the month vote for March


Loading comments

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Sat 22 Apr
League 2 – 1
Mon 17 Apr
League 1 – 1
Sat 15 Apr
League 1 – 0
Sat 8 Apr
First Kingstonian
League 0 – 0

News sponsors


Club sponsors