Gold Sponsor - Chingford AudiGold Sponsor - Forest DrivesScore board Sponsor - Kelly FormworkClub Sponsor - JNF



Founded in 1928 by members of Chingford congregational church the club was originally known as “Chingford Guild Rugby Club”. A ground was loaned by a local milkman named Mr Soper adjacent to the reservoirs at Lee Valley. Members of the club then built a changing building with two changing rooms, plunge bath and water heating stove. A double Decker bus was acquired for the spectators and the players washed in a local piggery.

In 1930 the club was renamed Chingford Rugby Club and in 1945 the club was reformed using an old army hut. The original building had been destroyed during the 2nd World War on VE night. This hut was used until 1947 when the “Rendezvous Café” was used for changing. During the fifties the club moved to its previous site. The clubhouse was extended in 1960, again in 1968, and finally in 2012 to it present size.


By 1958 the club had seen member’s representing Eastern Counties, had won the Hendon Sevens for 2 seasons in a row and was fielding up to 5 teams each week. From 1960 the club was boosted by the batch of post-war children from Chingford High School. During the sixties the 1st XV remained largely unchanged for nearly a decade. During this time they won the Barnet Sevens, the silver ball and in 1967-68 were runners up in the inaugural Essex Cup.

When the leagues started in 1987 the club were placed in London 3 North East. In 1989-90 the club not only won the Essex Cup but gained promotion to London 2 North where they stayed until 1997 when they were sadly relegated.

The club remained in London 3 North East until 2004-05, when coaches John Williams Snr and Steve Frost guided the Club to not only the Essex Cup but also the league title by winning every game and being the first club in England to win their respective league first by 4 games.

Their first season in London North 2 saw them finish a respectable 4th, the next two seasons 3rd and the next, 2008/9, saw them drop marginally to 5th but they did secure the Essex Senior Cup beating both Southend and Barking in the process.

A league restructure saw them playing in London 1 North and finish 5th for the second season running after again heading the league in early December. This also saw the step down of NZ Coach Stefan Smith after 3 years in charge. In 2010/11 he was replaced by Player Coaches Guy Gavan and Neil Starling but whilst 2nd in December they fell to 6th by season end and 7th the following season