Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marine Football Club app


Gainsborough Trinity 4-0 Marine

4 years ago By Dave McMillan

Wembley dream dies for Mariners at Northolme...

Match report by Dave McMillan

Marine's FA Cup odyssey came to an end on Saturday, as they went out of the competition at the Third Qualifying Round stage at Gainsborough Trinity.

The 4-0 final scoreline was perhaps tough on Carl Macauley's men, but the Conference North hosts certainly deserved to take their place in Mondays's draw, creating the clearer scoring opportunities throughout the afternoon.

The first half was pretty even with Trinity not putting Marine gloveman Matt Cooper to any real tests, Adam Quinn getting on the end of a corner early on to head well over the bar.

Simon Russell laid off an inviting ball for Blues striker Paul Beesley to blaze over, before much travelled Darryn Stamp cut in from the right, his shot fielded comfortably by Cooper.

Andy Fowler responded for the Mariners with a run and shot which flew wide of the target, with Andy Nicholas then winning a clean header from Karl Clair's corner, home 'keeper Jan Budtz plucking the ball from under his crossbar.

The Mariners came close to taking the lead just before the break, Clair's free kick over the defensive wall heading for the bottom corner but Budtz was equal to the challenge with a good save at his near post.

All of Marine's good work evaporated three minutes in to the second half, Quinn rising at the back post to head in to the opposite side of the net from a corner.

Marine had a good spell with Christian Langos causing problems for the home rearguard, but an experienced and well drilled defence restricted the Yellows to few clear sights of goal.

Russell dragged a decent opening wide but made no mistake with a stunning strike on 72 minutes, his powerful 25 yard drive giving Cooper no chance as Trinity doubled their lead.

Fowler fed Langos as the Mariners tried to find a way back in to the tie, with the Congolese striker aiming a low shot to Budtz's right which the scarlet shirted shotstopper pushed around the post.

Controversy followed as Trinity broke clear, the assistant's flag being raised for offside but play continued with Russell having time and space to fire home the third goal with 81 minutes on the watch.

The dream was over for Marine then and Gainsborough added further misery in the 88th minute, substitute Liam Davis going on on one with Cooper and finding the net via a deflected shot.

Gainsborough Trinity: Jan Budtz, Dominic Roma, Tom Davie, Charlie Binns (Grant Roberts 81), Adam Quinn, Jake Picton, Simon Russell, Ciaran Toner, Paul Beesley (Chris Salt 86), Darryn Stamp (Liam Davis 72), Conor Higginson.

Unused subs: Josh Lacey, Billy Lobjoit, Adam Martin. Cautions: Quinn.

Marine: Matt Cooper, Stephen Wainwright (John Shaw 72), Dan Fearnehough, Sean Hessey, Andy Nicholas (Cap), Karl Clair (Matty Williams 60), Andy Fowler, James Foley, Lewis Codling (Danny Whitehall 60), Jonathan Goulding, Christian Langos.

Unused subs: James Short, Inderjeet Aujla, Tom Owens, James Mitchison (G/K). Cautions: Codling.
Referee: Amy Fearn; Assistants Edward Pidduck, Alan Hull.

Attendance: 473.

Where next?

JOHN SHAW Defender departs Arriva...
PHIL NEAL DINNER Liverpool legend at the Arriva Friday 21st November...

Video Advertising

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Tue 22 Jan
First Southport
Cup 19:45
Wed 23 Jan
Marine Academy U19s Stockport County
League 14:00
Sat 26 Jan
First Hyde United
League 15:00
Wed 30 Jan
Marine Academy U19s Tranmere Rovers
League 14:00
Sat 2 Feb
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors