Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official St Austell RFC app

View

Brief History of St Austell RFC

Following the sale of the Cromwell Road ground to Asda in 1986, St Austell RFC spent two years without a home while Tregorrick Park was being built. Thanks to the efforts of people like President (and founding member) Ivor Price, Chairman Chris Owen and Coach Richard Lamb the Club remained strong and focused during a difficult transitional period. The community of St Austell Bay rallied around the Club to ensure that rugby continued to be played throughout this period; home games were played at St Stephen-in-Brannel and Penrice schools while winter training was held at Poltair School. During 1986-87 St Austell Cricket Club resonated to the sound of raucous rugby songs as it became the Club’s temporary home. From 1987 the Western Inn became the St Austell RFC’s Clubhouse thanks to the support from Landlord and Club Stalwart Bill Potter.

Tregorrick Park started hosting games in the 1988-89 season but with the front pitch and the clubhouse still under construction matches were played on the back pitch, known now as the training pitch. Players changed and showered at Penrice School and travelled down to the Western Inn to either celebrate victory or commiserate defeat.

Finally on 2 September 1990 the new Tregorrick Park Clubhouse formally opened for business with high flying Penryn RFC the visitors for the first ever game on the main pitch. A narrow 4-0 defeat failed to dent the celebrations as St Austell RFC started life in their new home. The 1990-91 season saw the Club’s first floodlit match against Cornwall U21 and it also hosted the annual Tamar Cup contest between Cornwall and Devon.

Where next?

St Austell RFC - The Early Years From 1933 to the 1954-55 season, with an intermission for the war years, rugby in St Austell was cen
Rise and Fall 1990 - 2004 The move to Tregorrick Park coincided with a pivotal period for the game of rugby. Since the formati

Affiliations

Club sponsors